happyadm
3 Silver

Power cable length for cx4-120

Hello,

We just purchased and uncrated our new cx4-120. We have put it in the only place left open in our data center that would not require a move of production servers and our cx-700. The large black three prong cables sent for the four power recepticles are 15ft. They are not long enough. Are there longer cables available?
I have left several messages for the general emc sales team and no one has got back to me yet.

If longer cables are not available, is it recommended to use some sort of extension type plug/cable to extend the length. If we have to move the equipment so be it, I just want to make sure I know all of my options.

Happyadm
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DGM3
3 Argentum

Re: Power cable length for cx4-120

Happyadm,
There may be a workaround with cabling that is already there.

If the only thing in the EMC rack is the CX4-120, it's unlikely that all 4 power cords are needed. That is, the CX4-120 should receive enough power though a single pair of the 30A power cords (at 80% loading = 24A, via 2 cords for redundancy). Generally only larger configs draw more than 24A, thus require all 4 power cords. You can check via entering the actual configuration into the Power Calculator, and see how much current it requires. The Power Calculator is online at;
http://powercalculator.emc.com

If that turns out to be the case (the CX4-120 config does not draw more than 24A) - you can power the CX4-120 off of just the lower outlets inside the rack. Then, re-use the upper pair of power cords essentially as extensions to the lower pair. That is, in the back of the rack, there are plugs where all 4 power cords are attached - these use L6-30 connectors (they are the "large black three prong" mentioned below). Leave the lower pair connected as-is inside the rack. Disconnect the upper pair, and use them outside the rack as extension cords, attached to the ends of the lower pair. The upper cords are actually 21' long, so this approach would give you an additional 21' of reach, beyond the existing 15' length of the lower pair.

Please note that if power must be run beyond that distance, EMC must recommend that either an electrician be consulted to prepare the site in accordance to meeting local electrical codes (which might be one long, custom-made electrical cord, with one set of connectors at each end), or move equipment as needed to reach appropriate power receptacles.

Regards,
DGM
happyadm
3 Silver

Re: Power cable length for cx4-120

Hi DGM,

Thank you so much! You have been quite helpful and I feel like now we can proceed.

Happyadm
0 Kudos