Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2011 05:00

Powerpath SE license

Where can I download the basic free version of PP for the clariions? Is it the same as the regular PP with out a license?

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads P-R > PowerPath for AIX

Is it just a different license that I will have to get from licensekeys@emc.com?

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 05:00

Hi iflaas,

There is no free version of PP. What you can do is that you can use the standard PP without license for free use.

Regards,

Kamal

5.7K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 06:00

indeed. The version is the same, but that's what he means.

134 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 07:00

So I can use PP with out licenses for basic failover in clariion. great. Thanks for your help.

134 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 08:00

I was wondering about that. Thanks.

Reply-To: "jive-835653847-3ucb-2-bdvm@emc-developer.hosted.jivesoftware.com " >

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:40:06 -0500

To: Karthik Bhaskar >

Subject: New message: "Powerpath SE license"

EMC Community Network

Powerpath SE license

reply from YoBoy in CLARiiON - View the full discussion

5.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2011 07:00

It's legal to use PPath without a license if you only have 1 HBA. With 2 HBAs you're not allowed to use the free version.

86 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 08:00

Hi there

It is legal to use PowerPath without a license with as many HBAs as you want - however only the first 2 paths on the first HBA enumerated will be in an active state - all others will be in an 'unlic' (unlicensed) state even if the origonal 2 active paths become disabled or inactive for some reason.

Note that issues pertaining to systems with unlicensed PowerPath with more than 1 HBA (or more than 2 paths on 1 HBA) will inevitably have some kind of statement to the effect that the configuration without a license is unsupported coming from support.

The exception to this is if you are using iSCSI on a Windows host with multiple paths through ordinary network cards (Ie not TOE cards) as the Microsoft iSCSI initiator (of which there will be only one of) counts as the single 'HBA' (initiator) as far as PowerPath is concerned. For some reason the 2 path limitation does not seem to hold in this environment.

Sam Claret EMC TSE3

4.5K Posts

February 24th, 2011 09:00

Minor correction to the iSCSI and PowerPath - it is true that multiple NICs in a servce will have the same "IQN" number so it appears as "one" device, but when you connect to an iSCSI CLARiiON, you should still follow the limitations for unlicensed PowerPath. If not, you will experience host connection issues. See Support Solution (Primus) emc245445 for more information. For unlicensed PowerPath you should configuration only a single NIC with two paths - do not connect additional paths.

glen.

134 Posts

February 24th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for all the information.

Our Sys admin wants to remove PP altogether and implement AIX native multipathing s/w. I am not too familiar with how it works but what are the advantages of licensed version of PP when compared to native multipathing tools?

5.7K Posts

February 24th, 2011 15:00

PPath uses true load balancing and the native mpio uses a fixed path for each LUN AFAIK. PPath does a better job, but yes, it's yet another piece of software on your host. But I've never seen PPath cause any problems yet

No Events found!