Clifford8
1 Copper

Re: RAID stripe expansion - stuck at 0%

I had tried to trespass the individual LUN that was my primary LUN, but the message came back "cannot trespass private LUN". I imagine this is because it believes it's still in the middle of the expansion.

I had not tried to trespass the meta-lun (out of fear and ignorance that I may screw something up). However, upon your encouragement, I trespassed the meta-lun this morning and voila...the expansion started!  Progress immediately jumped to 34%, and it has been stuck at that level for the last 1.5 hours.  This time there are no error messages in the event log, so I'm just going to let it run for a few more hours and see if it progresses further.  Will update you later today.

Thanks again for the great input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jim_A1
2 Iron

Pol, just so you can understand the etalun structure...

LEts say you start with lun 10, and you want to expand this lun.

You create another lun, lun 20, and depending on the type of expansion striped or concatenate you add lun20 to lun10.

When this is done flare will renumber lun 20 to the highest available lun number and make this lun a private lun. It is also trespassed to the same SP as the "head" lun.

Lun10 will still remain as lun10 (even though it actually also gets renumbered) and is known as the "head" of the metalun.

Anything that needs to be done for this metalun is to be done via the head lun...ie, trespass, snapshot, mirror etc....

Any trespasses on the metalun, will trespass all of the components of the meta lun to follw the head lun.

Anyway hope this is not as clear as mud...

Jim

Clifford8
1 Copper

Yes it makes sense.  I'm happy to report the expansion is still continuing. After another 7 hours it's about 36% complete now. There are no error messages in the log. If everything continues as expected, I'm happy to close this discussion as 'answered' with many thanks to all of you. It's been a great learning experience.

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Tungsten

remember that all operations you perform on the metaLUN must be done by using the metaLUN "head" that is, the LUN with the ring on the icon. This icon  indicates that this is the metaLUN head. This is the one that you want to use when changing parameters. The only time you would select for individual component LUNs is when you need to change the LUN cache settings, then would select each of the component LUNs to make the change.

This picture is from a later flare release, on release 19 you would find the metaLUNs under the owning SP.

metaLUN.bmp

glen

0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Tungsten

metaLUN.bmp

0 Kudos
Clifford8
1 Copper

Understood Glen. The expansion is continuing. It's now at 42%.  At this rate it will finish in another 7 days. I'm trying to lower the application workload on the SAN to allow it more to use more resources for the expansion. [ignore the 'F' on the screen below. I have a failed disk on a separate DAE.] I hope to close this case as 'answered' after the weekend.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of read/write performance I get after the expansion is complete. Thanks again.

Expansion.gif

0 Kudos
Clifford8
1 Copper

I'm happy to post that the expansion completed much sooner than expected after I reduced the workload on the SAN.  Thank you everyone for your help. I hope I have credited the right people with points. I will mark this question as 'answered' now.

0 Kudos