2 Bronze

Reserved LUN Pool Relocation

Jump to solution
We currently have all our reserved lun pool luns on SATAII drives and we¿d like to migrate all of them to FC drives, what would be the way to do this? Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
6 Indium

Re: Reserved LUN Pool Relocation

Jump to solution
Create new ones on FC and replace the SATA ones with FC ones. Don't do them all at once (you can't when they're in use).

So after you created new ones on FC, take out 1 unused SATA LUN and put in a new one. Do this for all SATA RLP LUN's. You will run into SATA LUN's that are in use.... at a given point in time you'll need to shut down MV for a minute or so, but I think you'll manage to replace them all by hand.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
7 Thorium

Jump to solution
those are private LUNs so i don't' think you can migrate them using Lun migration utility. Are they actually in use ? What are they used for snapview or sancopy ?
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Thanks for the quick reply, yes, they are in use for MV/A
0 Kudos
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Create new ones on FC and replace the SATA ones with FC ones. Don't do them all at once (you can't when they're in use).

So after you created new ones on FC, take out 1 unused SATA LUN and put in a new one. Do this for all SATA RLP LUN's. You will run into SATA LUN's that are in use.... at a given point in time you'll need to shut down MV for a minute or so, but I think you'll manage to replace them all by hand.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Sounds like a plan, thanks...
When you say "shut down MV for a minute or so..." I should use AdminFracture for this step, correct?

If I AdminFracture the MV/A luns, I shouldn¿t have to perform the full synch for those luns once the replication restarts, correct?

Create new ones on FC and replace the SATA ones with
FC ones. Don't do them all at once (you can't when
they're in use).

So after you created new ones on FC, take out 1
unused SATA LUN and put in a new one. Do this for all
SATA RLP LUN's. You will run into SATA LUN's that are
in use.... at a given point in time you'll need to
shut down MV for a minute or so, but I think you'll
manage to replace them all by hand.
0 Kudos
6 Indium

Jump to solution
If the LUN's you're replicating have WIL's attached the re-sync will be incremental, indeed (WIL = Write Intend Log).
0 Kudos
6 Indium

Jump to solution
You don't need the LUN migration utility. If they're not in use, you can pull them out of the RLP at any time, just make sure you replace them with new ones asap just incase the Clariion needs them.
0 Kudos
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution
To be safe I would just add the new FC RLP LUNs in first. That way when you remove the STATA LUNs from the pool you are not at risk of not having enough RLP storage available.
6 Indium

Jump to solution
If possible yes. Most customers know have the maximum amount of LUN in the RLP, so adding just 1 isn't even possible before you take 1 out first. But you're right !
0 Kudos
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution
Really? They either have old arrays or are really using a lot of RLP storage since the newer arrays support hundreds of LUNs in the pool.
0 Kudos