Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2014 04:00

Restarting a Storage Processor

Hi All,

A little background for you. This is a  CX4-480.

We had a faulted Standby Power Supply (Enclosure SPE SPS B.) This was repaired by our support company, however the fault persisted. They support company have said that we need to restart the Management Module for the error to clear. In this case Module B.

I am new to EMC products, can someone please advise the correct steps/best practice for restarting a storage processor please.

Thanks in advance

Will

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2014 07:00

give that a shot. Prior make sure all hosts are multipathed and PowerPath/MPIO is working correctly.

To reboot storage processor using Navisphere Manager:
  1. Open Navisphere Manager Enterprise Storage window.
  2. Expand the CLARiiON array.
  3. Right-click the SP that you want to reboot (for example, SPA)
  4. Select Reboot.
  5. Select Yes at the confirmation window.

LUNs will trespass automatically to SPA, they should trespass back to default SP after SPB is online. If not you can run this command to force them back to default owner:  naviseccli -h SPB trespass mine

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

before restarting SPB, did they try to replace the cable that goes from SPS to SPB ?

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

Hi Dynamox, Thanks for the reply. I have just sent the engineer back to our datacentre to change the cable. He has done so but the fault persists. He seems adamant that the SPB now requires restarting.

I believe this will involve trespassing the LUNs but any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Will

January 23rd, 2014 03:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply. We will be scheduling this to happen shortly. I will let you know the outcome.

4.5K Posts

February 11th, 2014 14:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

24 Posts

February 11th, 2014 15:00

Just an FYI, be sure you have multiple HBA's, the proper HBA zoning, multi-path failover software installed and configured to handle the trespass situation before you reboot the SP or you could loose access to the LUNs by the hosts.

February 17th, 2014 02:00

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I restarted the storage processor on Friday night. However the fault is still showing. My original question was about restarting the storage processor though. So I will mark it as resolved and award points.

It all went smoothly and connections to the storage did not drop at all as I trespassed all the LUNs.

11 Posts

December 8th, 2014 08:00

Do we need to disable the Write cache when we do this?

December 8th, 2014 18:00

bharatdara23 wrote:

Do we need to disable the Write cache when we do this?

No you don't. Cache is 'protected', even if an SP fails. 

No Events found!