Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2015 10:00

SAN Copy CX700 to CX4

I am trying to run PULL SAN copy from a CX700 to a CX4.  I have the SAN Copy enabler installed on the CX4 there is no SAN Copy software installed on the CX700.  The CX700 host connectivity shows that I have zoned the two SANs to each other.  But I do not have any SAN copy connections in Unisphere on the CX4 I also have no host connectivity indications on the CX4.  What's missing?

4.5K Posts

February 16th, 2015 11:00

When the San Copy enabler is installed on an EMC CLARiiON or VNX, it makes the all the ports both Targets (the default) and Initiators. This is the reason that you cannot use Single Initiator to Multiple Targets zoning. With San Copy enabled, the zoning must be only Single Initiator to Single Target for that array.

On the CX700 without the San Copy enabler, the ports remain as Target ports and will not log into the CX4. On the CX4, the ports are now both Targets and Initiators. When you create the zoning connecting the CX700 ports to the CX4 ports, the CX4 will log into the CX700 (as host inititaors) and automatically register. You then put those initiators into a Storage Group and add the LUN that you want to copy to the CX4.

On the CX4, you will not see the CX700 logged in as the CX700 ports are not Initiators and will not log into the CX4. The San Copy Wizard on the CX4 will be able to see the LUN on the CX700 if the LUN is in a Storage Group and the CX4 initiators have been added to that Storage Group.

I've attached a short White Paper on this that may help.

Also, remember that when you do a Pull from the CX700 you will need to do a FULL copy and the host that owns that LUN will need to be off-line during the update as there is no tracking of copied blocks on the CX700 without the San Copy enabler installed on the CX700.

glen

1 Attachment

4.5K Posts

February 16th, 2015 12:00

You have a LUN in the Storage Group on the CX700?

glen

6 Posts

Yes, I have a session queued to start specifying the WWN of the LUN on the CX700 . The LUN wasn’t listed anywhere as a source LUN

6 Posts

I have zoned SPA4 and SPA5 on the CX4 to SPA0 and SPA1 on the CX700.

The san copy storage group on the CX700 has the connections from the CX4.

The CX4 after updating the san copy connections still does not list anything from the CX700 in the source LUN list.

6 Posts

But it will accept the WWN of the LUN on the CX700

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

is CX700 and CX4 in the same Navisphere domain ?

6 Posts

That appears to be the case, you have to key it in got a copy running at the moment 6% complete

4.5K Posts

I think you only see the WWN of the LUN on the CX700

glen

March 1st, 2016 07:00

hi Glen

thanks for all your great contribution.

i have a trouble with use  EMC San Copy between a CX4 and a VNX array ,  with elabler on the é array so , able to do push pr pull copy session BUT  , with a majour troble, my customer don"t respect the  zoning best pratice and he did a lot of

"Single Initiator to Multiple Targets zoning"

so , as soon as, i do a update san copy  session ( after enable 2 zone  ,  (CX SPA to VNX SPA)  and ( CX SP B to VNX SP PB) i got an error,  in unisphere

SAN Copy switch zoning is not set up properly on this storage system.

So , i am very confused, can i use san copy again this error  or i need to rebuild all the config San for my customer ?

any idea will be very usefull

greetings

Pascal

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 1st, 2016 12:00

why not fix the zoning instead of wasting  hours troubleshooting the problem ? 

March 2nd, 2016 01:00

Hi

sure,

But i need to explain to my customer he did a wrong zoning since many year,

so not very cool ..

The true things  are  sometime difficult to hear..

but thanks for the idea

4.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 09:00

The issue with the Single-Initiator to Single-Target zoning when using San Copy is described in the San Copy White Paper.

It will need to be corrected for proper operation.

glen

March 7th, 2016 07:00

hi glen

thanks for your message..

yes i had read the  white paper, about the need to have only one initiator in each zone.

and my customer don"t know about rules SIST, , port mirrorview and san copy rule.

so need to rebuild all the zone configuration.. lot of works ..

thanks for your help !

No Events found!