skm123
2 Bronze

Re: SAN Copy /Incremental

Jump to solution

Dynamox,

I Have  2 questions?

I'm having considerable time gap and large amount of data being changed between Initial session starting with -copywholelun -nomark all  option and Final Cut Over with Host shutdown,can I safely start session with regular option 2 as mentioned below as many time as I want and data will be consistent?

1.Start Incremental SAN Copy session while host is online
NaviSeccli.exe -h <SP IP address> sancopy -start -name <sessionname>  -copywholelun -nomark all

2.Start a regular session once  above session is completed(Inconsistent) to reduce the time required to finish Final Push of Changed data.

NaviSeccli.exe -h <SP IP address> sancopy -start -name <sessionname>

3.Shutdown Host and complete Final Push.

NaviSeccli.exe -h <SP IP address> sancopy -start -name <sesssionname>

Is there any way to find How much Data is changed after starting session with -copywholelun -nomark all  option?

Thanks

0 Kudos
dynamox
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

you can run step 2 as many times as you like. I had to migrate a couple of LUNs that were used for Oracle dump area, they were 1TB in size. I ran my initial copy during the day (since these LUNs were mostly used at night), i set throttle relatively low as not to impact overall array performance and then i would run multiple incremental's until the final day of cut-over. Data on the target will be "crash consistent" because your host is still up and running.  It will be truly consistent when you shutdown the host and perform your last incremental copy.

San Copy utilizes "tracking" bitmap (saved in RLP)  to track changes between updates, i am not aware how to get "delta" information from that bitmap.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Dynamox,

Sorry for posting this and eating your time, as this is an old post.......

I have got 3 questions ...

1) If a SAN Copy will fail what will happen to the sessions, when it's restarted, will it be Full Copy or incremental ?

2) If it is incremental, what are the pre-requisites to make it incremental...we need license for that (if i am not mistaken) and what else ?

3) Which ports are reserved for it in VNX & clariion & how many zones are recommended ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
dynamox
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

1) should be incremental, SANCopy tracks what gets transferred to target device.

2) as long as SANCopy is licensed on source array, you are good to go. You don't need a separate license for SnapView.

3) you can use any ports for SANCopy as long as they are not the same ports used for MirrorView. How many you zone it's up to you, need to have at least on zone from each source SP zoned to SPA and SPB on target array, ie:

Fabric A

zone1-VNX1-SPA0-VNX2-SPA0

zone2-VNX1-SPA1-VNX2-SPB2

zone3-VNX1-SPB2-VNX2-SPA1

zone4-VNX1-SPB3-VNX2-SPB3

Fabric B

zone1-VNX1-SPA2-VNX2-SPA2

zone2-VNX1-SPA3-VNX2-SPB0

zone3-VNX1-SPB0-VNX2-SPA3

zone4-VNX1-SPB1-VNX2-SPB1

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
nasiamohamedull
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Is it required to shutdown the source host when we do a full SAN copy?

0 Kudos
dynamox
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

not for push, will need to shutdown for final push.

0 Kudos