Highlighted
3 Argentum

SAN Copy Questions

Quick question.

I have SAN Copy licenses on both a CX4-480 and CX4-240 and I have zoned the arrays together based on EMC's documentation.  Essentially:

SP A0 - SP A0
SP A0 - SP B0

SP A1 - SP A1

SP B1 - SP B1

Both arrays are checked in to each other.  I created a 500GB test lun and I want to migrate the data from the CX4-240 to the CX4-480.  When I try to initiate the copy it says that it can't communicate.   I'm wondering if there needs to be a storage group created on both arrays.  If so, how would this help a lun migration if the luns are already in a storage group?!

There has to be a quick and easy Unisphere way of doing this without having to do CLI (which I hate).  Anyone have any idea what's the best way to get it to work and to migrate luns from one array to the other? I know we're supposed to stop I/O as that makes sense.  Do I have to remove the luns from the host to stop I/O?  Do the luns needs to be removed from the hosts on both sides for this to work?!

Let me know!

60 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: SAN Copy Questions

on the target , you have have to have a storage group that contains your target LUN and the source clariion is added as a host ..so that i can write to the target LUN. You treat source clariion as a host (as far as target array is concerned)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

take a look at this document, this is Clarion to VNX but the same concepts apply here

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8173-migrating-clariion-vnx-san-copy-wp.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Ok never mind I got that done now I cannot find a lun for the reserve pool. I created a 500GB lun so I am not sure why it's not showing up as available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Go to the RLP option under "Replica"

Tap "configure"

It will list the free LUNs on the left hand window.

Check if your LUN is reflected there and add it if it is.

Check the page 11 of the doc that Dynamox have given.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

I did, no luns appear.  Yes, I have been following the document.  The question I have is "Do I need to add a new lun to the storage group that has had the ports configured for SAN COPY or can I use newly created luns to add to the RLP?"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

RLP is used by SanCopy/SnapView, you need to have one RLP LUN for each SanCopy LUN you are going to migrate. They don't have to be very big, create a dozen of 10G LUNs and assign them to RLP.

Next on the target you create a new LUN that will be your target for SanCopy operations, this LUN needs to be equal or larger capacity as your source LUN. This LUN needs to be added to the storage group where you had configured the ports for SanCopy.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Ok so I just need to create a bunch of small luns for RLP and then I can go forward with the other luns I created for SAN COPY? Why would RLP be able to see a bunch of small 10GB luns and not the 500GB luns I already created?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Ok I created 12-10GB luns for the RLP and they still don’t show up when I try to configure the RLP. What am I missing here?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

They are not thin LUNs, correct?

0 Kudos