Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2011 15:00

SP Won't Boot

I have a CX3-80 that has SP-B not booting.  Actually, its in a continuous reboot cycle.  I captured this in the Hypertermal connection.

BIOS image located at sector LBA 0x00011048

DDBS: K10_REBOOT_DATA: Count = 13778
DDBS: **** Warning: Reboot count exceeded.  This SP is booting in DEGRADED MODE.
DDBS: K10_REBOOT_DATA: State = 1
DDBS: K10_REBOOT_DATA: ForceDegradedMode = 0

DDBS: SP B Normal Boot Partition
DDBS: MDDE (Rev 200) on disk 1

FCDMTL 0 [9.0.0] DVM Disc Comp- Dev List Size: 8

FCDMTL 0 [9.0.0] TPM Notify: st=0xA000000, flg=0x208, cmd=0x0

Link Event: 0x00031001
DDBS: MDDE (Rev 200) on disk 3

DDBS: MDB read from both disks.
DDBS: MDB Invalid on first disk, MDB Valid on second disk.
DDBS: Second (secondary) disk needs rebuild.
DDBS: Using first disk by default.
DDBS: Using second disk by default.

FLARE image (0x00400009) located at sector LBA 0x011E804C

Disk Set: 1 3

Total Sectors: 0x01BFDB24

Relative Sectors: 0x0000003F

Calculated mirror drive geometry:
Sectors: 63
Heads: 255
Cylinders: 1827
Capacity: 29350755 sectors

EndTime: 08/24/2011 18:06:02

int13 - RESET (1)

int13 - READ PARAMETERS (3)

int13 - RESET (5)........

This goes on for serveral pages and the last entries before a reboot starts again is

int13 - READ PARAMETERS (2044)

int13 - CHECK EXTENSIONS PRESENT (2045)

int13 - GET DRIVE PARAMETERS (Extended) (2046)

I replaced the SP and that did not correct the error.  I placed the original back in currently.  Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 24th, 2011 19:00

is this box under active support contract ..if yes get Clariion support involved.

4 Posts

August 24th, 2011 20:00

It's not.  I do have a 3rd party company that I had to pay for support but we they have not troubleshot the issue yet.  I thought I would post this to see if I can get a head start on working on this problem in the meantime.  I forgot to mention that I had drive 0 of the flare drives failed the same day that I had this SP issue.  After I replaced the drive it was halfway through the rebuild state when drive 1 failed.  I did not have a spare drive to replace it so I re-seeded it and it went into Transition state as well and both 0 and 1 completed and have not show any more errors.   Based off some of the errors I see in the capture I posted, I wonder if there is still something wrong with one of the Flare drives.  This array has been in this state now for almost 2 months.

4 Posts

August 25th, 2011 08:00

I replaced the SP again and it still continues to reboot.  I reset the K10_Reboot_Data and it still continues to hang in a reboot pattern.  If the Flare code on the drives that SPB tries to boot from is corrupted, which I supect, how to you get a copy from SPA's over to it to see if that can repair it?  I would like to try it without taking SPA down to do so if that is the solution.

Thanks

August 26th, 2011 09:00

Hello trtracy,

If you boot your SP, on the back of the hardware ypu can see a boot led (amber light), which blinks. The speed of the blinking tells you where is the fault.

Can you tell me ~ how much does this link blink in a second?

Thank you,

Regards,

Gyorgy

4 Posts

August 26th, 2011 10:00

This issue has been resolved.  It was a corrupted flare code on the drives that SPB needed to read from.  Breaking into the Diagnostic Menu and reloading the image from the Recovery area by going into the DDBS Sub-System.  Had to actually go to the secondary image to find a vaild one.  Thanks for the imput.

August 29th, 2011 10:00

Hello everybody,

i got a similar problem with two used CX3-20. Both have two DPAEs. Hypertermal connection stops on all 4 SPs at this point:

int13 - GET DRIVE PARAMETERS (EXTENDED) (1667) (numbers are a little different for each SP, 1675 on SP-B for example)

No reboot, amber LEDs are blinking 1 time/second while booting, then 2 times/second after halt. Any ideas/solutions?

Regards from Germany,

Benjamin

727 Posts

August 29th, 2011 11:00

Getting this message (int13 - GET DRIVE PARAMETERS (EXTENDED) (1667)) does not mean that the SP is not booting up. You would see the same message on the hyperterminal for a working SP also.

Do you know the IP address that was assigned to the SPs? Are you able to ping those IP addresses? Otherwise, you can create a PPP connection using the serial port and check what IP address has been set on the SPs.

August 29th, 2011 16:00

Hello Avi,

thanks for your reply.

I was able to connect to one system by PPP connection after removing the IPX/SPX protocol. After connecting to 192.168.1.1/setup i realised that the ip adress (192.168.154.23) which was written on a sticker attached on the SP is wrong, the configured adress is 192.168.1.240/241. Is that factory default? After knowing the right ip adress it was easy to connect to the unit by Navisphere Manager.

But on the other system the PPP connection does not work. If i connect the serial cable to SP-A i get a message: Error 777: The connection attempt failed because the modem or other connecting device on the remote computer is out of order.

If i connect to SP-B the connection can be established but if i try to connect to 192.168.1.1/setup it take a while and then it shows site not available. I can ping 192.168.1.1 but i can´t enter the setup.

I had the same problem with the first unit before, i don´t know what i did exactly that it finally worked. I remember that in Hyper Terminal i tried ctrl+c for the diagnostics menu, after the message "Storage System Failure – Contact your Service Representative" i typed "DB_key" choose 3) DDBS Service Sub-Menu and then 2) Utility Partition Boot.The boot stopped at int13 - GET DRIVE PARAMETERS (EXTENDED) (667). After that i tried ctrl+c again, typed SHIP_it, choose 13) Image Sub-Menu and then 9) Utility Partition Boot. But again booting stopped at int13 - GET DRIVE PARAMETERS (EXTENDED) (667). Any ideas?

Regards,

Benjamin

159 Posts

August 29th, 2011 23:00

If you can't boot into the utility partion from DB_key or SHIP_it then you can't do a recovery.   The only option I can think of is to "borrow" a drive with Flare on it from your other array and use that to build back the flare?  PITA I know, but at this point, I can't see any other option.

159 Posts

August 30th, 2011 04:00

Okay.  If you can get into DB_key or SHIP_it via serial/hyperterm, then you should be able to:

• (Forgive, I can't remember the Numbers) Go into Utility Partition Boot. (you may still see your int13 -- it should go past it)
  • From the Utility Toolkit Menu You Need to select to enable the LAN Service Port.
  • Give it a network config and the LAN Service Port should awake.
  • Then from your handy machine (on the network the SP is connected to) you conect to the clariion via ftp using your new network address.
    • username: clariion (or Clariion)
    • pass: clariion! (I hope I remembered that right)
  • Then you copy your flare image to the server (upload).  Something.mif
  • Go back to your hypertem to the Utility menu again and go into the Image Repository (??) Menu.
  • Choose the option to move the image file from the respoitory to the RAM Disk (sorry name, I can't remember).
  • Once that is done, backup a menu or two to the Utility Menu again and choose the option to install Image - choose your image and install it.
    • Note here, if you are connect to SPA -- Install it ONLY on SPA...  You should not do both.
  • After three or four copy operations, you will be dropped back to the Utility Menu.  Choose to Reset the SP.
  • It will reboot a couple/three times and then you should be good to access the array via the network.
  • Go into NaviSphere (enter engineering mode) and copy the image to your other SP and reboot it. 
  • Be happy you now have a functional array.

Sorry, I don't have an array that I need to do this on right now, or I would double check the menu names.

August 30th, 2011 04:00

Hello,

i can boot into the utility partion from DB_key or SHIP_it by serial connection via Hyper Terminal. I only can´t connect by PPP and acess the GUI. Can you tell me how to do a recovery with Hyper Terminal?

Thanks,

Benjamin

159 Posts

August 30th, 2011 07:00

Have you tried both SPs? If you can't get into the utility tools then the only way I know of (without EMC) is to try a borrowed disk.

August 30th, 2011 07:00

Ok, thank you. :-) I will try it. But i can only acess the Diagnostic Menu by pressing ctrl+c at the beginning of the boot. If i wait booting starts and the system seems to freeze at the int13 -- figure. When it is there i can´t do anything. It will not pass  int13 -- even if i wait 1 hour. Regards, Benjamin

August 30th, 2011 09:00

Connection via FileZilla gives me this error "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server". But there is already an image in the repository. I tried to install that image, the COPY operation had completed successfully. But the system hangs on second reboot at the int13-- figure.

159 Posts

August 30th, 2011 09:00

If you can ftp to it, upload the image and see if you can finish the steps.

No Events found!