Highlighted
2 Bronze

Steps required to connect a windows 2008 server host to see a LUN on a EMC CX3 storage array?

What are the steps required to connect a windows 2008 server host to see a LUN on a EMC CX3 intelligent storage array? Then how do I create a NFTS file system on the device?

My host and storage array are both connected to a fibre channel switch.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: Steps required to connect a windows 2008 server host to see a LUN on a EMC CX3 storage array?

Consider moving this discussion to Clariion Support Forum ( Actions > Move ).

1. Storage to host zoning

2. Host registration in Navisphere

3. RAID Group and LUN creation

4. Storage group creation and allocation

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Re: Steps required to connect a windows 2008 server host to see a LUN on a EMC CX3 storage array?

On support.emc.com go to the Support by Product. Search/Select the CX3 model (CX3 Ultrascale Series).

_https://support.emc.com/products/7840_CLARiiON-CX3-Ultrascale-Series

Here you can find a lot of information about the CX3.

The below link will take you to the customized installation documentation site - here you can select your host, connection type and array to build an installation document.

_https://support.emc.com/docu6682_Customized-Installation-Documentation---CLARiiON-CX3-Series.htm?lan...

I've also attached a general host installation document.

The question about creating a NFTS file system, the CX3 is a block device - it presents LUNs (disks as seen in Windows). These are raw devices - no format. On the disks in Windows you would format and create a file system.

If the CX3 that you have is actually a Celerra (which is a File device), then the installation steps above would be completely different. If you do have a Celerra then you can post you question in the Celerra forum:

All Places > Support Community > Celerra Support Forum

glen

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for that, the second link is interesting but doesnt really provide enough detail that i need. Would you know the steps in general to get a windows 2008 server to see a 100GB LUN?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

load multipathing software (PowerPath), if using native MPIO proceed to step 1

1) zoning (establishes logical connectivity between host and array)

2) host registration (either by installing navisphere agent on the host or manually registering host WWN inside of Navisphere, Connectivity Status)

3) create storage group

4) create LUN

5) add host (from step 2), add LUN to storage group.

6) reboot Windows host

7) if not using PowerPath, configure MPIO

Host Connectivity Guide for Windows

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Could someone look over my steps and confirm they are correct or let me know what steps/details im missing. The idea is I should show the steps to get a host to connect to a LUN on an EMC CX4 and then create a NTFS file system.

Here are my steps:

• Power up the storage array and host
  • Connect HBA 10:00:00:00:c9:22:fc:01 on the host to the switch
  • Establish a logical connectivity between host and array (zoning)
    • Create a zone on the switch to present each storage processor port to the HBA port
    • Add the WWNs to the zones that were just created
    • Activate the zoneset so that there is communication between the host and storage processors and allow it to see the storage on these ports
  • Install EMC Unisphere Server Utility on the ESXiA host
  • Install EMC PowerPath on the host and reboot
  • Log in to the array and expand the hosts elements in the tree and look for the host
    • If the host is not available, use the host connectivity option to find it
  • Find the WWNs that correspond to the HBAs and select them all
  • Select the register button
  • Add the FQDN of the host, and the IP address the array can reach it on
  • Register the host
  • On the host, check the disk management utility and verify an empty disk is present
  • Using Navisphere, the host should be visible
  • Create a LUN
    • Create a raid group and assign the disks to it
    • Bind a LUN to the raid group
  • Add the LUN you want the host to see to a storage group
  • Add the host that was just registered
  • Rescan storage on your host and format the recently found disk
  • Using PowerPath, validate that the device is visible on all paths
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

what operating system are you trying to boot from SAN, i see references to ESXi ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Windows 2008 Server

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

why did you mention ESXi ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

hmm wait, i think I dont need that step actually. Thought because the windows 2008 is on a esx host. Ok ill take that out. anything else?

0 Kudos