Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 08:00

Storage Viewer and CLARiiON User Roles

Anyone know if you can use a user with the "monitor" role for Storage Viewer?  I would

really rather use this role over "manager" or "administrator" on the CLARiiONs.

Thanks.

1.5K Posts

March 17th, 2010 19:00

I am not too familiar with the Storage Viewer for vSphere Client - however, the manual says for discovery of CLARiiON arrays, an user name and password is needed on the array - and it seems to me that any user with "Monitor" role will be sufficient for this, since you are not going to do any administrative tasks or configuration changes on the CLARiiON from Storage Viewer. However, I understand, using a user with "Administrator" or "Manager" will not cause any harm - it will be upto your decision.

My 2 cents
Sandip

63 Posts

March 18th, 2010 08:00

Yesterday I actually implemented Storage Viewer using a CLARiiON user with "monitor"

privileges.  So far everything appears to work.  The reason I am limiting the privileges is

for security, to minimize the amount of accounts with write access.  If there is no reason

for this account to have write control, then it shouldn't have it.

If I find a reason for the Storage Viewer CLARiiON user to have write access, I'll update

this thread.

1.5K Posts

March 18th, 2010 10:00

That makes perfect sense and I completely agree with you. Thanks for the update.

Regards,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 18th, 2010 10:00

there might be in the future. For example the new Storage Viewer for Celerra allows you to create snapshot, create file systems ..etc, so for that type of access you would need account with elevated privileges. Soon VMware admins will not need storage guys ..they can take of everything themselves (that's a scary thought)

No Events found!