Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2013 11:00

Unisphere Client problems and Java

I have been plagued with trying to run the Unishpere VNX Client ever since Java 7 has come out. We are now up to the latest Java 7.45

and I have tried the last three versions of the Windows Unisphere Client. I just installed the 1.3.0 version of the client and guess what, it still doesnt work. I do not have the time & patience to call it in & deal with a (lets try this or that from 1st level support) so I figure i will at least drop the problem out here so that maybe when it becasue a top hit on the web, EMC will take note and fix it.

This happens no matter the browser. It launches, i say (accept or Run or Allow ) to the Java Popup and it errors. When I click on the details of the error I get the below.

ava Plug-in 10.45.2.18

Using JRE version 1.7.0_45-b18 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

User home directory = C:\Users\JoeM

----------------------------------------------------

c:   clear console window

f:   finalize objects on finalization queue

g:   garbage collect

h:   display this help message

l:   dump classloader list

m:   print memory usage

o:   trigger logging

q:   hide console

r:   reload policy configuration

s:   dump system and deployment properties

t:   dump thread list

v:   dump thread stack

x:   clear classloader cache

0-5: set trace level to

----------------------------------------------------

ANY HELP would be appreciated. And "no" i dont want to just go to the IP of the control station because that never got updated in all the FLARE updates. The client has newer better controls.

I am using a CX4 - NS480 EMC system.  Client is Windows 7 64bit. SP1

October 29th, 2013 21:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "CLARiiON Support Forum"

CLARiiON Support Forum

November 5th, 2013 07:00

I'm also having same issue after latest Java update. Is there any workaround?

~Krishnadas

4.5K Posts

November 5th, 2013 14:00

If I might make a recommendation, I uninstalled all versions, then installed Java 1.6.30 - works fine for Unisphere 1.3.0

glen

12 Posts

November 5th, 2013 15:00

I've also had success with 1.6 u17 and u31. Any of the three should be stable across OSes.

November 7th, 2013 06:00

try install both versions of java x86 and x64 or install latest update of java 1.6 release

November 7th, 2013 08:00

I uninstalled Java 1.7 U45 and installed Java 1.7 U40. Now the GUI is loading fine. However, I’m unable to connect to any VNX boxes. Seems different issue.

~Krishnadas

5 Posts

November 7th, 2013 09:00

Folks, I am not going to re-engineer my workstation, uninstalling and reinstalling Java versions for this to work. EMC needs to resolve the problem so it works with the "Current" version of Java.

4.5K Posts

November 7th, 2013 10:00

Can you provide some more detail about the array - what versions DART is running on the Control Station and what version of flare is running on the array?

Since this is a NS480 I'm assuming that the control station is passing on the packets to the SP management ports and you are not directly connected to the array SP ports.

glen

2 Posts

November 27th, 2013 08:00

Glen and all,  I too am having the exact issue that Joey presented.  I'll uninstall Java 1.7-45 for now and reinstall 1.6,

I uninstalled Unisphere 1.2 and then tried to install it with Java 1.7 and it won't install due to a JAVA error.  Yes this is good 'Ol crappy Java at its best but being that,  EMC needs to address this issue.  Let me tell,  you I spent going on 5 hours troubleshooting this and saw  Joeys post on a Google search which brought me here.

Also where can I get the latest Unisphere 1.3. All the post point to the old site and on this site I only find Unisphere for VMAX.  I'm running 2 Clariions CX4's-240 &  480

thanks,

John

Boy

4.5K Posts

November 28th, 2013 14:00

In the release notes for Unisphere 1.3 (the latest version), this is the supported configurations: I'd recommend staying within the recommendations. If you are using 1.7.25 and are seeing issues, then please open a service call and we'll get these fixed. Anything outside of the supported versions will not be addressed.

Browsers

• Internet Explorer 7.0-10.0 (7.1 is recommended)

• Firefox 4.0-12.0

Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

• JRE 1.6 update 18 to JRE 1.7 update 25

• JRE 1.7 update 17 is recommended

Always check the release notes for any new software releases for the currently supported configurations and the Known Issues sections.

glen

5 Posts

November 30th, 2013 05:00

Glen,

I'm not trying to be difficult but the "What DART version, what FLARE" typical EMC response is not the solution. Plus the fact that you state nothing beyond the recommendations will be addressed. Really ? You say nothing beyond IE 7 and 7.1 is recommended ? Microsoft released IE 11 ! That after IE 8, 9, and 10 for the last couple years. Firefox is on release 25 !

Look, the problem is that the EMC client is not up to date addressing the latest browsers & Java builds working together. Old no longer left over items left on the system from the antique EMC client code are causing the problem.

EMC needs to fix and address this otherwise when are refresh comes up, we "will" look at alternatives.

...and I "do not" have time to spend an hour working with a level 1 tech trying this and that to get the old clunker agent to work.

Fix your Windows Client !!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 30th, 2013 07:00

Joey,

you can start looking at alternatives right now, because i can guarantee you EMC won't do squat to fix it. That applies to many vendors, look at Cisco DCNA client that is used to manage Cisco MDS FC switches. You install anything greater than 1.6.32 and it complains about java being at not supported level ..but at least it runs.

4.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 07:00

I'm not trying to be difficult about the Java issue, in support we are aware that the different combinations of flare and host operating systems and browsers makes for an challenging environment.

What I was trying to point out, is that when each new version of EMC software is released, it is tested and qualified at certain versions. This testing process is quite extensive and time consuming and not all versions of operating systems or browsers or Java will be tested due to the large number of variations or that we have discovered issues with the 3rd party software (OS/browser/Java) that either will cause issues, must be fixed by 3rd party or that the combinations just will not work together but the older versions will. The release notes will contain the information about what the currently released versions are and that's what support must adhere to. If you are using those versions that are listed in the release notes and it's not working, then support can escalate that issue to engineering to see about getting a fix or if it has already been fixed but not yet released.

So the release notes are updated with what is actually tested for each new version as the currently supported version. From a support perspective we get a lot of calls about "will this work with that" and if it doesn't, why not. E-Lab contains all the variations on what has been tested and supported. If you look at that latest Compatibility Guide for VNX, there are now 12409 pages. I can remember when the CLARiiON FC4700 guide "only" had a couple hundred pages.

glen

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 08:00

So basically nothing has changed & you don't have a fix & EMC may or may not put out an updated client ? Fact - more than one user is having the problem. We want a fix.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I have run into similar issues and the only workaround I have discovered and you won't like my answer is below:

1.  Uninstall  both the Unisphere client and server

2.  backrev JAVA to version 1.6

3.  reinstall the Unisphere server then client.

4.  you should be all set..

No Events found!