Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2009 06:00

Use exiting zone?

Here the situation i am facing and would like please if some can give me some recomendationsor best practices

I have CX4-120 i am using for my vmware storage all server are conectted and zoned in my fabric. i alos have a cx-700 for my backup to disk. all my backup server are direct attched to the cx-700 plus running into my fabric of the cx4-120 to run backup for vmdk files, etc.
i am going to get a new backup device (ML6020) with 2 fabric connection, (each one for backup drive). for now i have only one port left on the fabric switch.
my question here is do i need to buy 2 more hba's to my 2 backup servers + more fabric ports to the switch so i can zone the backup device? or to save money - if it's recommended or not recommended to zone between the backup device to t the fabric and than use an existing zone/alias that i already have for the backup server? we want zone to isolate traffic and access betweem initiators and targets. it is not recommended to do it or waht will be the best practice
Thanks, for any help or advice

4.5K Posts

October 26th, 2009 10:00

Quick answer on the zoning;

You can only put a single Initiator into a single zone - it can not share a single zone with another Initiator - called single initiator zoning. If you have two initiators in the same zone they will try to log into each other. You can have a WWN in more than one zone, but not with any other initiators.

This is the reason that you should not have SAN Copy ports on the array in the same zones - SAN Copy make the clariion SP ports into Initiators and if there are zones that contain a SAN Copy port and a non-SAN Copy port, these two SP ports will then log into each other.

glen.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 26th, 2009 09:00

i keep re-reading your post and every time i read it i get even more confused :) , so let me ask you a couple of questions:

1) How many HBAs does backup server(s) have right now ?
2) ML6020 will replace CX700 ?

i like to stay away from directly attaching anything as you lose the flexibility of SAN. What if you need to present ML6020 to another system ? You wont' be able to as it will be directly attached to your backup server.

193 Posts

Got it
did a backup device with 2 fabric ports (wwn) consider to be also an initator?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

so if two out of 4 HBAs are used to connect to CX700, what are the other 2 HBAs are used for ? As far as i remember it's always been recommended not to use the same HBA for disk and tape connectivity.

193 Posts

i have 2 backup servers each with 4 HBA (2 Direct attche to CX700, and 2 running to the switch fabric A nad B).
ML6020 is backup to Aux after the backup to disk (for archiving porposes)
what i am trying to acomplish is to connect one more HBA for each server and + adding more ports to my fabric. this way i can zone between the backup device (6020) to each of the backup server via the fabric switch - no problem here.
BUT.... i am trying to save money and wonder if i can connect each of the backup drive to my fabric A and B (that left with only one port at each fabric switch) and when setting up the zone just setup one new alias with wwn for the new connection between ML6020 to fabric and use the same wwn that i am already using for the backup server and add it again to another alias and zone?

Bottom line i am trying to figure out if the best practice with zonning is not to share or use the same wwn that allready in use in one zone, with another zone, to prevent any other traffic to/from diffrent system to use it

hope i am clear a bit now...

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 26th, 2009 11:00

it depends, some devices can be run in target or initiator mode, for example ports on CDL can be configured as targets for backup hosts, or as initiators for connectivity to physical tape libraries.
No Events found!