3 Argentum

Using DMP with EMC clariion SAN

Jump to solution

hello!!

We ‘ve an  EMC Clariion AX4 SAN and we're using it to provide storage for our Hyper-V virtual machines. I've already got the servers registered with it and configured the failover cluster CSV's, etc.

I'm wanting to figure out what I have to do to set up the VSS Provider for the SAN, so that Microsoft Data Protection Manager can use it to backup the virtual machines.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the VSS Provider up and running?

thank you in anticipation!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Zinc

Re: Using DMP with EMC clariion SAN

Jump to solution

You need to have Navisphere Manager(not the express version) as well as the Snapshot software enabler installed on the AX4. This is in addition to the VSS provider that you have already installed on your cluster hosts. This will allow you to use DPM for hardware based snapshots.

In powerlink navigate to get the useful docs on VSS :

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ T-Z ~ Documentation > VSS Provider

Primus emc107717 and emc202636 for RLP

VSS provider can be downloaded from:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads S > SnapView

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

You need to have Navisphere Manager(not the express version) as well as the Snapshot software enabler installed on the AX4. This is in addition to the VSS provider that you have already installed on your cluster hosts. This will allow you to use DPM for hardware based snapshots.

In powerlink navigate to get the useful docs on VSS :

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ T-Z ~ Documentation > VSS Provider

Primus emc107717 and emc202636 for RLP

VSS provider can be downloaded from:

Home > Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads S > SnapView

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Rupal , Thank you very much for a snappy reply , you 're life-saver . Thanks for sharing the Primus .

RRR/Fredster - I totally  agree. This was an incorrectly framed terminology;  written in a haste. so, i believe an exception can be thrown to  ignore the confusion

0 Kudos
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Oh, one more thing: please don't call a storage array a SAN, because it's storage NOT SAN. SAN is the network that connects storage to hosts. SAN = switches + cables.

3 Silver

Jump to solution

lol, spoilsport

Seriously: I do it as well (I know it is wrong) and it indeed causes confusion...

6 Indium

Jump to solution

I really like to stir things up a bit when it comes to terminology. SAN / Storage, but also Giga / Gibi. I know most people don't even know that 1 GB is NOT 1024x1024x1024. Since the late 90's the binary kilo/mega/giga and so so ons are called kibi/mebi/gigi/tebi and so on. So when a hard drive mentions it can store 300 gigabytes, thats 300,000,000,000 bytes! It's a simple as that. The only exception still used in the IT business are RAM sizes. They are still named Gigabytes while in fact they mean Gibibytes.

0 Kudos