Albertwt
2 Iron

Vmware Server rebuild effect in the existing SAN & LUN operations

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can anyone here please clarify if there is any adverse impact in the Storage Array level or the datastore level when I'm doing complete server rebuild with different name and different IP address ?

My understanding is that the SAN Array will communicate with the HBA WWN so no need to worry about ? feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zhouzengchao
3 Cadmium

Re: Vmware Server rebuild effect in the existing SAN & LUN operations

Jump to solution

I think so, because the WWN is still the same. Upgrade to ESXi5.1 -> rescan the HBA bus, that's it. Better to make sure the host configuration are all synced to the array to avoid any potential problem.

8 Replies
Highlighted
zhouzengchao
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Yes, the new name & IP must be synced with the initiator record on the clariion to reflect the server configuration change. Fortunately, ESX 4.1+ has built in navisphere agent that will sync the change to the clariion automatically. If you didn't see the change on the array, just restart the navisphere agent service on the ESX server.

Albertwt
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification, but I'll be upgrading to ESXi 5.1u1 not ESX anymore.

Does HBA rescan can help to re-discover all of the VM data store and the RDM presented to the ESXi host from the SAN array ?

Kind Regards,

Al

0 Kudos
kelleg
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

If you already have the host that you're rebuilding configured on the array (host assigned to a Storage Group and LUNs in the Storage group assigned to the host), you should remove the host from the storage group first, then de-register that host or the old host name and IP address will persist to the HBA's WWN and when the new host is brought online, it may register incorrectly.

glen

zhouzengchao
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1 should have navisphere agent built-in also. I believe re-scan the HBA bus can re-discover all the LUNs assigned to the host even the host information has not been synced to the array's initiator record because the rescan operates at the SCSI layer (over FC protocol), while the initiator record is only useful to the Unisphere management console to better understand the host configuration.

Albertwt
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Cool, so on this case rebuilding the ESX server into ESXi 5.1u1 should be straight forward without having to worry about reconfiguring the Storage Setting from the Unisphere ?

Kind Regards,

Al

--

0 Kudos
zhouzengchao
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

I think so, because the WWN is still the same. Upgrade to ESXi5.1 -> rescan the HBA bus, that's it. Better to make sure the host configuration are all synced to the array to avoid any potential problem.

Albertwt
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thanks for the calrification Glen.

noted down

0 Kudos
Albertwt
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Cool,

Thanks Steve, that does make sense assuming the server hardware remains the same, then the HBA card WWN will also the same and should be registered already in the Unisphere.

0 Kudos