Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 12th, 2012 14:00

Why does hdiskpower device show as empty?

Hello, all.  My storage admin presented serveral LUNs to me, but for some reason one of them is showing up as being an empty disk.  When I run the 'inq' command, I get the following:

/dev/rhdiskpower11 :DGC :   RAID 5      :     0430  :APM00104   :  -----

I've tried removing rmdev -Rdl and adding it back by cfgmgr, but I get the same results.  Has anyone else run across this?  I chatted with EMC support whose only recommendation was to remove everything PowerPath and reinstall.  He based this on the fact that an lsattr -El shows both reserve_lock and reserve_policy options, which he said is wrong.  His fix, though, seems a little overkill to me so I want to make sure I exhaust all possible avenues before going this route.

My System Info:

AIX 6.1

VIOS 2.2.0.12-FP24 SP-02

EMC powermt for PowerPath (c) Version 5.5 P 02 (build 3)

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 12th, 2012 15:00

it's not presented to another AIX host ..is it ?

6 Posts

November 12th, 2012 16:00

It is presented to another VIOS, as all the others are.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 12th, 2012 16:00

is it part of a volume group that is imported and mounted on that other VIOS ?

6 Posts

November 12th, 2012 17:00

No, it's not part of a volume group.  We're simply presenting the LUN as an hdisk device to the LPAR.

July 6th, 2017 14:00

I see this quite often and it is the result of having an incorrect reserve setting

The other times I see this is when the device is a CLARiiON/VNX/Unity, VPLEX lunz, XIO SACD or Symm/VMAX ACLX

Which are all devices that allow communication to the array before actual luns are presented and are not real IO devices so will return ------ as the capacity.

What does 'lsdev -Cc disk' report this device as?

Does lsattr -El hdiskXX report the lun_id to be?

It may seem heavy handed to remove and reinstall but having both reserve lock and reserve policy will cause multiple problems and the way around this is a full uninstall/reinstall 5.5 is also well past end of life and should be upgraded.

No Events found!