Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TV

March 22nd, 2011 09:00

Wipe data from CX3-10

Hello everyone, I was looking for information on how to zero out the disks on my CLARiiON CX3-10 that is coming off a lease. I did some searching and a lot of people mentioned the primus article emc130392 but It doesn't show up when I search for it and when I try grab the URL of another primus article and replace the article # i'm told i don't have access to the article. Can anyone give me instructions on how to do a zero-out write to a CX3-10?

727 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 14:00

EMC has a service for this (Certified Data Erasure) that you will need to buy. You can find more details on Powerlink.

This topic was also discussed earlier in the forum: https://community.emc.com/message/413819#413819

5.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 02:00

Or simply mask the LUNs to a host and run some sort of a wiping program that will really write zeroes to the filesystem, then ones, then zeroes again or whatever pattern you desire.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 04:00

you could shuffle drives around and then create new RAID Groups/LUNs. When you create new LUNs on Clariion, they get automatically zero-out in the background. If you don't have any financial/medical regulations that apply to your data ..this might be a quick and dirty way to get it wiped.

392 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 04:00

The drive zeroing that is performed by the CLARiiON for re-use of capacity is not a HIPAA compliant erasure.  The EMC service is.

392 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 05:00

Nay, nay, nay.  I just wanted to show everyone that *I* knew that HIPAA acronym thingy.

So, dynamox your shop getting a VNX soon?  We have to get you up to speed, real quick.  Otherwise, you'll be posting about buggy whip and sealing wax level storage tech.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

did you skip over the sentence in my reply that mentioned "regulations" ?   It's not only HIPAA ..you have SOX, DOD and a lot of other fun regulations that require certified data destruction. We took our old CX boxes that did not require certified erasure and not were going back to EMC ..and simply shreded the drives.

5.7K Posts

hahaha

March 23rd, 2011 06:00

We're not bound by any HIPAA or SOX regulations so a simple zero out would be fine for us. And I cant shred the drives since this CX3-10 is on a lease and needs to go back to the leasing company. I still have around 3 weeks before I need to package it up so I'll try conecting it to one of my ESXi hosts and do a wipe on LUN containing all the disks. Worse case I'll do the shuffle method a few times over!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 08:00

jps00 wrote:

Nay, nay, nay.  I just wanted to show everyone that *I* knew that HIPAA acronym thingy.

So, dynamox your shop getting a VNX soon?  We have to get you up to speed, real quick.  Otherwise, you'll be posting about buggy whip and sealing wax level storage tech.

hehe ...it's all good, gotta have the right tools for the job .  VNX you say ..yeah, most likely this summer as my NS80 is coming off maintenance.

No Events found!