Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2012 14:00

clariion performance troubleshooting

Hi,

Does any one has idea to trouble shoot the lun performance in clariion..?

Thanks in advance

varun

June 22nd, 2012 10:00

In addition to what was recommended, if you want to try it yourself and maybe looking for a good DIY to get you started on using the feature, I would recommend the following 5 part series from Richard Anderson (employee of EMC and active member of these community forums).

http://storagesavvy.com/2011/03/30/performance-analysis-for-clariion-and-vnx-part-1/

Especially useful to end-users is the section describing how to import the information into Excel to generate meaningful charts and graphs.  Also, do not forget to read the comments at the bottom of each section as there are great conversations in the replies.  Finally, please note as Richard perfectly states: "Performance Analysis is an art, not a science."

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 21st, 2012 14:00

i just paid $5k for that class, sooooooo i would have to say No sir

29 Posts

June 21st, 2012 23:00

Hi dynamox,

sorry my question went in a wrong format earlier so i edited my question..I was looking for steps to troubleshoot the lun performance in clariion...?

1.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 03:00

When you say LUN Performance, it could be due to disk contention or may be some other reasons.

I would suggest you to gather SP Collects and .NAR files and get it analyzed from EMC Technical Support for a problematic LUNs for a recommendation rather than troubleshooting for it in blinds!

You might want to go through Knolwedge Base Article: emc218359.

5.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 04:00

My idea exactly. If you can't figure it out yourself, ask EMC to help you out. But the obvious suspects are always a good starting point:

- how are the physical disks doing ?

- how much IOps can the RAID Group handle and how much would your LUN generate ?

- Are there any other LUNs on that RAID group having the same problems ?

- How's your connectivity to this Clariion ?

- Is 1 server having issues or more than one ? Run a perfmon (windows) on that server.

- Is your storage as a whole overloaded ? (QFulls on the storage ports)

5.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 06:00

don't forget to choose which post was the correct one and which were helpful

1.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 21:00

Chris, I partially agree with you on this! Indeed, I have gone through Richard's post quite a few time and I can say thats the best available Step by Step Guide for Performance Analysis for a newbie so far. However, if Varun is already facing performance issues on the LUN I would not suggest to make any changes or re-configuration with out Technical Support's Consult. It is possible that he may get it right first hand itself but if not, it would be chaos!

My Advice to duggivarun

1. Follow Primus emc161922 to gather necessary files for Performance Analysis.

2. Since, you won't be able to analyze SP Collects, you may try your analyzing the .NAR files provided you have Navisphere/Unisphere Analyzer enabler installed.

3. In the meantime, Please, open SR with EMC Technical Support and wait for the recommendations.

Its better to be safe, than sorry since performance analysis is an art which one can master it only by practice!

June 24th, 2012 00:00

Yes, I completely agree with you, and that now is not the time to learn necessarily.  Please note that my post was in response to the following:

1) Originally the OP had asked about material for classes. 

In lieu of the classes, Richard's posts are a great walk-through to get people started.  I completely agree with Dynamox that the material should not be handed out without taking the course.  The OP immediately realized this and reworded his question.

2) The very first comment I made was: "In addition to what was recommended"

Enough people already suggested the number one priority for the OP which was to get it analyzed by those qualified to assess.

5.7K Posts

June 27th, 2012 01:00

Duggivarun, what else can we help you with? I think you've got a good starting point now (ILT, tips and hints). I think you're good to go. Let us know if you're happy, ok?

29 Posts

June 28th, 2012 05:00

Yes I got a good link from christoper which was a very useful guide to starters. RRR focused the areas where we need to focus in performance issues. Ankit also gave an useful link.

I thank everyone for their useful contributions.

Since i was looking for a step to step guide. i will vote for christoper link.

No Events found!