Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2007 12:00

creating global hot spares

I've recently created some hot spares on my Clariion arrays using the procedures outlined in the online help. Basically create new raid group with 1 disk and designate as Hot Spare type. After doing this I noticed that they show 'N/A' by hot spare replacing in the raid group properties. Hot spares previously created on my arrays show 'Inactive' in the same location.

the difference I see between these groups is that a lun has been bound in the ones that indicate 'Inactive'. After further research I've found descrepancies in documentation. Documentation found on powerlink (emc111878, Date: 4/3/2006) indicates I need to bind luns as hot spare luns. The online help doc "Creating a Hot Spare" specifically indicates, "You do not need to bind a LUN on a HOT Spare RAID Group." The online doc is from release 26.

I should also mention that while doing some testing on a FLARE 26 CX3, navicli reports hot spare = NO on a disk that is setup in a hot spare raid group with no luns bound. When I bind a lun in that group navicli reports that the disk is now a hot spare.

My guess is that there is a change from older CX series and the CX3 or possibly this changed with a FLARE update? Can anyone confirm? What is the proper way to setup hot spares?

Thanks.

70 Posts

December 18th, 2007 07:00

There has been no change in the procedure to set up Hot Spares in Release 26.
You still need to "bind a LUN" on a Hot Spare RAID Group to fully activate it. Select the Hot Spare RAID Group and on the right click menu click on "bind a LUN".
That is an error in on line help. It will be corrected
Thank you for reporting this.

59 Posts

December 18th, 2007 10:00

This "IS" a new issue! I had the same problem after I upgraded to the latest flare code on one of my CX's. You have to do an extra step to make the hotspare actually start working now.

After you create the HotSpare go to the new raidgroup and select bind LUN. The give it a LUN ID, after you do this it will start working. You will also notice a hotspare lun has been created under "Private Luns"

This is an issue on code 22 - 26 from what I have experienced. It may go back to older versions as well. My guess is any code 20 or later.

FYI...

Prior to version 20 you did not have to actually bind the lun for the hotspar to start working.

Message was edited by:
not
No Events found!