W

December 3rd, 2013 09:00

cx-300 No 'Logical Device Names' information showing

Hi,

We have the following:

cx-300i SAN flare 02.26.301.5.031

Server running Win2k8 Enterprise

5 LUNs connected server to SAN

I have noticed that, in navishpere, when I expand the storage group for this particular server, expand luns, right-click on 4 of the luns and select the 'hosts' tab, that there is no information displayed under 'logical device names' even after I do an 'update host information'.

The 'update host information' process reports it succeeded, but no information is populated.

On the fifth LUN, the 'logical device names' slot is populated with the drive letter.

When I just expand the raid group, and expand the LUNs section, at the right-end of each LUN it displays \\PhysicalDriveX; on all the 'bad' drives, but the 'good' drive shows -L:\;    (drive type is fibrechannel in all cases)

This becomes potentially important because Drive L - the good one - is the only one that shows up correctly in either the HRstorage MIB, or in the informant logical disk mib. The others either dont show up at all (informant), or show with all zeros.

I should also note that on the server itself, in servermanager-storage manager, that the 4 'bad' SAN drives (I, J, K, M) show up just as I:, J: etc, whereas drive L shows up as 'SAN Drive L' which is how I always name my SAN drives.

On all of the LUNs, in the volume properties, the volume is named SAN Drive ( x ).

The final bit of information is that all of the drives are functioning correctly regardless of the circumstances listed above. All data is accessible, etc. I just can't monitor these drives with my normal SNMP tools because they don't show up correctly.

This has only been an issue on a couple of our Win2K8 machines that have local drives of CEFG and TUV, with SAN drives of IJKLM. (The TUV drives being the anomoly from the norm, here).

Does anyone have any ideas of what to check or where to go? I'm at a complete loss...

thanks for your help.

Thx,

4K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 21:00

Have you installed the Navisphere Host Agent on the Windows server? Maybe you can try to upgrade it to the latest version?

46 Posts

December 5th, 2013 09:00

Hi Roger,

thanks for your reply.

I have agent 6.24.2.5 installed.

I think that is the latest isn't it?

k

4.5K Posts

December 6th, 2013 14:00

The latest EMC Host Agent for the CX300i is based the most current release:

This is based on the latest flare release for the VNX - Flare release 33. The Host Agent is backwards compatible with your CX300i. I've attached the Release notes for this version of the Host Agent. You would also want to update the version of CLI that you have installed also.

glen

1 Attachment

46 Posts

December 11th, 2013 10:00

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I installed the unisphere host agent and opened port 6389 on my firewall so it would update from the SAN side, but still get the same results on the LUN names...

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

thx

No Events found!