Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2010 09:00

cx4 hotspare disk failed or was physically removed - means there is comming other failed disk?

hello

when a hotspare disk is configured and is in inactive status,

does this disk always keeps writing something?

or is in a standby mode.?

how clariion detect and test  that a hotspare disk is failed, if it is not doing reads and writes?

does it means that there is going to be another failed disk, after replacing the hotspare failed disk with a good one?

mc

542 Posts

October 4th, 2010 09:00

When a Hotspare is configured and not activally replacing another failed disk, it is sitting there doing nothing.

I would think that the Clariion would detect a hotspare that has failed the same way as anyother disk.  I think that the only time it could ever fail is if it was currently in use for a failed drive.  All the other times, it is sitting there idle

After you replace the bad disk that the hotspare disk has fully replaced, you should not get any other errors.  the hotspare disk will go into a "equalizing" state while it copies data back to the replaced disk.  once it is done, it will go "hotspare ready" state.

295 Posts

October 4th, 2010 10:00

thnks Kenn

at this time visually i can´t confirm what disk is faulted, with led orange

but what i dont still understand is why i have this report in my SR

" CDATA[Disk(Bus 0 Enclosure 1 Disk 12) failed or was physically removed "

and in that position is the disk that i configured as a hotspare.

what do you thing.

do you thing that i have two failed disks.

i will confirm this, in a few hours.

mc

295 Posts

ok i will check that.

meanwhile check this, this is an old report, just to show you

that the disk that failed was the hotspare disk.

im trying to get and update of this.

thnks, MC.

hotspare.bmp

542 Posts

You can see what disk is faulted in "disk Summary"   sort by the "hot spare replacing" column and you will see what disk the hotspare is replacing.  what is listed there is the bad disk.

Now for that message, you will get that when the system startes the process of building to the hotspare.  I know it is crazy the way they do it  it makes you think you have 2 bad disks but you dont.   Once the hotspare has an exact copy of the failed disk,  they system will put that bad disk in either a failed or removed state.   That is when you know it is safe to replace it.

Actually,  there are 2 states:

If the disk failed over to the hotspare by itself, it will show up with a "F" for failed.

If you start a "Proactive Hotspare", when it is done, it will show up as "R" for removed.  You do this when you start getting a bunch of soft media errors in the event logs.

295 Posts

October 5th, 2010 17:00

now i have more info.

the error is REQUESTED BYPASS any idea?

CX-4-hs.bmp

5 Posts

October 6th, 2010 02:00

I think it means that your drive 0_1_12 is just out of order. Bypass is a feature of CLARiiON enclosure to skip failed or almost failed drives in its built-in FC switch.

RAID type really does not matter here, I saw failed drives many times which did not work as data drives before, only as yet unused hot-spare drives.

No Events found!