Highlighted
DeVoiD1
1 Nickel

how do I get the server to "see" the CX300 SAN

I have read a bunch of material form this site, and went to the server wizard and it created the custom document for getting the server to see the SAN, and attach to the storage device.

these are the steps I followed from that document:

Installed the Navisphere Server Utility

Installed Powerpath

Installed the Host Agent

With each install i followed the directions, with the server utility and Host Agent I was asked if I was connecting this server via iSCSI, i checked the ol server this new server is replacing, and didnt see iSCSI installed, so I said no to those questions.

When I get to the part where is states Register the Server using the Navisphere Server utility, I dont have that option anywhere in that utility.

the server utility box has a space that shows the HBA's and I dont see any there.  I checked the old server which has Qlogic boards in it, and during he boot up it has those boards BIOS as disabed, as does the new server, so i have looked back and forth and cant see why it cant see the HBA's in the server utility box, and why i dont have the option of registering the server.

Am i supposed to get into the SAN at some point and assign the storage, and then the server will "see" the SAN ?

I have gone through this document many times, and i dont understand wha I have to do next, or why i don thave that register the server option in the server utility.

Like I posted before, im a newbie here, and am under a lot of pressure to get this done in the next few days, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

j

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
38 Replies
kenn2347
3 Silver

Re: how do I get the server to "see" the CX300 SAN

I have 2 questions first:

Is the new server attached to a FC switch or is it connected directly to the CX300?

If it is connected to a FC switch,  did you create new zones and add a storage port and HBA port to them?

If it is direct connected to the CX300,  does "connectivity status" show the new server?

0 Kudos
DeVoiD1
1 Nickel

it is connected via fiber to a Fiber Switch.

when i IP into the Switch I saw that it had two zones set up, am I somehow supposed to add this new server in there somehow?

thanks

0 Kudos
Jim_A1
1 Nickel

The basic steps to set up a server to see an array are as follows -

Install the server and HBA's.

Connect up to a FC switch.

Zone the WWPN's of the HBA's to the appropriate SP WWPN's.

Check the connectivity status of the array to see that the HBA's are logged in.

Set up the HBA failover and array commpath settings.

Attach server and luns to a storage group.

Jim

0 Kudos
DeVoiD1
1 Nickel

Please see the BOLD  question/statement

Install the server and HBA's. do you mean the OS? (in this case windows 2003 server) and the HBA drivers?

Connect up to a FC switch.      Connected

Zone the WWPN's of the HBA's to the appropriate SP WWPN's.   Can I get the WWN for the HBA from device manager?

Check the connectivity status of the array to see that the HBA's are logged in.   Do I see this from the web interface of the SAN?

Set up the HBA failover and array commpath settings.  I havent seen tis anywhere, even on the servers that are connected, whats commpath?

Attach server and luns to a storage group.          If i remember properly, this is from inside the Web interface of the SAN right?

0 Kudos
Jim_A1
1 Nickel

Please see the BOLD  question/statement

Install the server and HBA's. do you mean the OS? (in this case windows 2003 server) and the HBA drivers? YES

Connect up to a FC switch.      Connected

Zone the WWPN's of the HBA's to the appropriate SP WWPN's.   Can I get the WWN for the HBA from device manager? There is normally a utility from the HBA manufacturer that will allow you to see these.

Check the connectivity status of the array to see that the HBA's are logged in.   Do I see this from the web interface of the SAN? You need to log into the Navipshere Manager GUI to see this

Set up the HBA failover and array commpath settings.  I havent seen tis anywhere, even on the servers that are connected, whats commpath? These are settings that the Clariion Array uses. See Primus solution EMC99467 and EMC107962.

Attach server and luns to a storage group.          If i remember properly, this is from inside the Web interface of the SAN right? This is done via the Navisphere Manager GUI.

Jim

0 Kudos
DeVoiD1
1 Nickel

Ill have to go and download the Navisphere manager, as the only way i have been getting into the SAN was via IP and Internet explorer, and im sure the manager is probaly the better way to go.  Ill check this site for that software.

As for the WWN usility for the HBA, ill have to go to the HP site and see if I can find that utility, as the company that we bought this from, only gave me the server install software, and only installed the driver, and nothing more.

please see underline.

Zone the WWPN's of the HBA's to the appropriate SP WWPN's.   Can I get the WWN for the HBA from device manager? There is normally a utility from the HBA manufacturer that will allow you to see these.   When I looked at the switch via IP, i saw that is already had a couple of zones in there that must have been created when the original server was installed.   Can I re-use that zone, or somehow just add this server to it (the old server is still on and in place)?

0 Kudos
kenn2347
3 Silver

DeVioD   you dont need to download anything.  You are accessing the array the correct way thru IE.  It is called Navisphere Manager whern you access it that way.   To check to see if a server is logged into the array,  you can right click on your array and select "connectivity Status" from the menu.  If you see the new server listed there then you know that you have the "zoning" correct.  If it is logged in but not registered, then you can either restart the navisphere agent service taht is running on the server or just reboot it.

As for the HBA utility,  if the HBA is a qlogic,  then download SanSurfer from the Qlogic site.   That will show you the WWN's.  If it is an emulex, i think the utility is called HBAnywhere...

Wht type of FC switch is it?

As for the Zoning,   I would create a new set of zones for this new server.  I assume that you have 2 Fc switches with either 1 HBA or 1 Port off a Dual port HBA plugged into each one?

0 Kudos
DeVoiD1
1 Nickel

i have two fiber switches that i assume came with the SAN (im not sure of brad, but probably EMC as thye look to be bought together).  Each Fc switch one has 6 (i believe, im at home right now, so not 100% sure) ports each .

i dont follow what you mean "either 1 HBA or 1 Port off a Dual port HBA plugged into each one"

the server has two HBA's and I have plugged one in the top switch and the second in the lower switch.

the BA's ont he server are HP, so ill go get that utility

When I was IP's into the switch, i didnt se anything in there about Zone'ing.  would it be called something else?

I cant say how much I appreciate the help here, i have been stressing on this for weeks (i had to destroy domain security as the previous IT people walked out with the U and P for the web interface), and im running out of time, as it is a school, and I need to get this new server on like yesterday! lol

0 Kudos
kenn2347
3 Silver

1)       i dont follow what you mean "either 1 HBA or 1 Port off a Dual port HBA  plugged into each one

HBA's can come in a few diferent hardware configs.  they will be either a single card with one or two ports on it.  If your server has 2 physical cards each with one port on it then you want to cable one card to one switch.  If you have 1 physical card with 2 ports on it then you cable 1 port to each switch.  Looks like you got that step down already.

2)   When I was IP's into the switch, i didnt se anything in there about  Zone'ing.  would it be called something else?

Since you are using the IP's to get to the switches and not a program called Fabric Manager, i am going to assume they are Brocade switches branded by EMC.   When you login, does it show a graphic of the switch in the cneter and have a tree menu on the left?  if so that is brocade. 

0 Kudos