Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: lun to windows drive mapping

Contact EMC Technical Support, they will involve the RT/appropriate team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Zinc

they cannot do much since its out of warranty...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Okay, well then try deep freezing the damn thing and reseat

Thats the only thing you can do from your end. Other steps requires EMC involvement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Be very careful about messing with the drives in double/triple fault. I saw an issue with an LCC on a CX4-960 that was causing 3 drives in the same R6 RAID Group to fail repeatedly. After reseating the LCC everything was fine and all the data came back. But if you do the wrong thing in troubleshooting you can cause a permanent loss of data when the fault itself didn’t lose data.

In that case the LCC issue was causing loss of connectivity to one SP and the customer was also adding DAEs to the mix and that’s when the drives would fail.

Support can look at the SPCollects/Logs and see whats happening and recommend the appropriate steps to recover. Unless you know exactly what is happening with these drives, do not try and troubleshoot on your own.

Richard J Anderson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Zinc

Thank you. but I was unable to recover from the 3 drive failure. It happened after users wee unable to access a share on a windows server. going into dik management on th erver shows the disks as available to be formatted. I am not sure why instead of being offline and inaccessible, it shows as available to be reinitialized and formatted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Is there any hotspare invoked against any of the drives ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

tdubb I understand there is no support contract for this storage. However, if you have a backup for the drives faulted lets just restore the data.

If you do not have it then I would strongly recommend you to contact EMC ASR or DSM who can help you further with regards to may be one time support or may be whatever other options are available. I am only suggesting this as with out log analysis and assistance from the Recovery Team we all are just shooting in the dark for this critical failure!

I would leave it up to you now!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Gearoid has already mentioned the generic action plan.

If you are facing a DFRG (Double Faulted Disk in a same RAID Group). It is recommended that you get the SP Collects analyzed from the support and reseat the disk locations exactly mentioned by the Technical Support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Honestly it depends,

It depends what caused the drives to fail, if its a backend issue it could be a cable or LCC, however if its a drive failure then you really need to open a case with support. You *may* get the drives back online, but its very dependent on what happened

Gearoid

0 Kudos