Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2011 00:00

problem with windows host agent ip address

Hi,

I'm connecting several windows (W2008 R2 SP1) hosts to a CX3-20f following the documentation for windows systems. I haven't had any problem until now, when I have configured other network adapters. I have seen in Navisphere the hosts with other ip address, the address is from one NIC connected to a VLAN for internal purposes and the SPs are not able to get that address... I don't know how can I change the ip address in the host to the correct one... I would like to fix it and prevent any automatic change. How can I do that?

Thanks in advanced.

40 Posts

June 1st, 2011 02:00

If you have a multihomed host and are running like :
· IBM AIX,
· HP-UX,
· Linux,
· Solaris,
· VMware ESX Server (2.5.0 or later), or
· Microsoft Windows
you must create a parameter file for Navisphere Agent, named agentID.txt
About the agentID.txt file:

This file, agentID.txt (case sensitive), ensures that the Navisphere Agent binds to the correct HBA/NIC for registration and therefore registers the host with the correct storage system. The agentID.txt file must contain the following two lines:

Line1: Fully-qualified hostname of the host
Line 2: IP address of the HBA/NIC port that you want Navisphere Agent to use

For example, if your host is named host28 on the domain mydomain.com and your host contains two HBAs/NICs, HBA/NIC1 with IP address 192.111.222.2 and HBA/NIC2 with IP address 192.111.222.3, and you want the Navisphere Agent to use NIC 2, you would configure agentID.txt as follows:

host28.mydomain.com

For Microsoft Windows:
1. Using a text editor that does not add special formatting, create a file named agentID.txt in the directory C:/ProgramFiles/EMC/Navisphere Agent.
2. Add the hostname and IP address lines as described above. This file should contain only these two lines, without formatting.
3. Save the agentID.txt file.
4. If a HostIdFile.txt file is present in the C:/ProgramFiles/EMC/Navisphere Agent directory, delete or rename it.
5. Restart the Navisphere Agent
6. Once the Navisphere Agent has restarted, verify that Navisphere Agent is using the correct IP address that is entered in the agentID.txt file. Either:
· In Navisphere Manager, verify that the host IP address is the same as the IP address that you you entered in the agentID.txt file. If the address is the same, the agentID.txt file is configured correctly.
· Check the new HostIdFile.txt file. You should see the IP address that is entered in the agentID.txt file.

4.5K Posts

June 1st, 2011 09:00

Also see on PowerLink the Support Solution emc254967 for a list of articles about Host Agent and setting up the NIC IP address to use to talk to the array. In Windows 2008 there are a couple of gotcha's - there is a section just for Windows.

glen

• 

6.5K Posts

June 17th, 2015 16:00

Sorry for delayed input, would this agentID file location matters?as lon as file name is correct, it would be fine?

Thanks!

Aya

No Events found!