Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2009 09:00

"Virtual Disk" shared and setup on a SQL 2008 Server Cluster

Hello. I'm new to Powerlink and I must say that this is one of the best support sites I've ever used. I have obtained several PDF documents and have been reading them for the last few days. However I have one remaining question I can't seem to find an answer to, and it regards the Virtual Disk I have setup for this project.

Build:
Device: AX4-5i with SAS drives. (Working properly.)
FLARE: 02.23.050.5.703
Virtual Disk: 50GB RAID5
2 Physical DELL Servers: Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 / SQL 2008 x64
Each server has a 2-port Broadcom iSCSI PCIe-4x card. (Working properly.)
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator 2.08 / PowerPath 5.3.0

Done so far for both servers.
1. Installed Windows Srv 2003 Ent x64: Updated latest SP and Updates. iSCSI cards working.
2 Connections to SPA and 2 Connections to SPB enabled per installation instructions.

2. Installed Microsoft iSCSI initiator and performed tasks to connect servers to AX4.

3. Installed PowerPath.

4. On AX4 found unregistered Connections. There are four.

To the Question: In what configuration do I "register" the connections to the Virtualdisk?

Do I select them all and then "Modify" them collectively giving them the one name that will be used to name the cluster? Then log into each server and run diskmgmt.msc and then assign drive letter?

Or, Do I just add each server connection one at a time to the Virtual Disk and then assign the drive letter?

I've not been able to find the documentation that describes this element. Thank You for such a useful support site and Thank You in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

-MM

149 Posts

August 31st, 2009 10:00

I'm glad you like the support forum and I hope to maintain the quality you found with my answer .

NaviSphere Server Utility software will guide you to the necessary steps for registering your host correctly .

You need to install this utility on each node and run the setup .

Please refer to the following document "EMC CLARiiON iSCSI Server Setup
Guide for Windows"

http://www.emc.com/microsites/clariion-support/pdf/300-003-805.pdf

Also we have an entire website dedicate to the AX4-5 here you can find all the supported configuration , documents and software for your AX4-5 platform below you can find the address :

www.emc.com/ax4-5support

Regards
Pierluca

6 Posts

August 31st, 2009 11:00

Pierluca,

Thanks for that lead. Believe me, I've been searching many times and I never saw that document you provided in your reply. Perhaps my "searching" skills need some practice?

Best Regards,

-MM

6 Posts

August 31st, 2009 15:00

Pierluca,

Hello again. With the document you recommended I started over with fresh OS installs, etc. I followed the instructions and I think the install is fine. But, Now I'm back to my original question:

In Navisphere Express: How do I assign the new connections to the Virtual Disk I have created?

1. Do I select all the new Connections and then "Modify" them collectively giving them the one name? Then log into each Windows Server and run diskmgmt.msc and then assign drive letter?

2. Do I just add each server connection one at a time to the Virtual Disk and then log back into the Windows Servers and assign the drive letter?

3. Something else?

Thanks,
-MM

149 Posts

September 1st, 2009 06:00

For assign the disk to your server you need to follow this steps in NaviSphere express :

- Select your virtual disk
- click on assign the server (if you not see your server name you need to run the NaviSphere Server Utility on each node )
- select the two cluster nodes
- Now the disk is visible from the two nodes
- Follow the normal microsoft cluster installation steps

regards
Pierluca

6 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 09:00

This project was successful, many thanks for your help!!!
No Events found!