Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 22nd, 2011 21:00

undelete data from LUN?

Hi,

I have LUNs hooked to my blades to store VMware vSphere VMs on.  I have deleted a VM from the datastore, which is a LUN from my CX-500.  Is there a way to undelete this VM folder?.... please.

Thank you for any help you can send my way.

Ty

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 24th, 2011 10:00

people do it all the time with NTFS partitions, there are forensic tools that can recover data from NTFS or FAT32.  Maybe there is a commercial tool for VMFS ..not that i've heard of one.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 03:00

there is no "undelete" functionality in Clariion nor vSphere. If you had Clariion snapshots/clones for that LUN, you could have mounted that snapshot/clone LUN on another ESX box and recover just that specific VM.

5 Posts

March 24th, 2011 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Have you heard of someone linking a LUN with the deleted data to a server and viewing the LUN data somehow to run an undelete program on it?  It is a datastore from vSphere, so it's not formatted NTFS, so it's not immediately readable by Windows.  It's just seen as a big partition.

What do people use who can steal data from hard drives that aren't wiped several times?

5 Posts

March 29th, 2011 10:00

I couldn't find one either for VMFS.  I did find stuff about restoring from ESX3.5, but it says it's no longer supported in version 4.  Thanks for your replies though.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 30th, 2011 11:00

EMC Support has a NDB (Non Destructive Bind) process that may be able to help depending on how long ago the lun was deleted and if the raid group didn't consume that space for a new lun. You would need to open an EMC service Request and request a Non Destructive Bind for a deleted lun. It may take some time to escalate to the proper resource.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The lun was deleted from a CX500. CLARiiON Support Could possible use the NDB option to bring the lun back to the CLARiiON.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

how is that going to help with a VM that was deleted from VMFS file system ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 30th, 2011 13:00

don't see anything in OP that the LUN was deleted.

No Events found!