Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2010 01:00

vertical or horizontal RAID group

create a RG in one DAE or a RG across many DAE, for performance, which is better?

14 Posts

December 30th, 2010 07:00

Exactly for the response from Spril1967.

To resume (if i remember) :

Raid (3,5,6)

Horizontal RG is simple for administration and better in case of DAE, LCC goes down

Vertical RG : a too little additionnaly performance and not good in case of hardware (LCC, DAE) problem

So Horizontal RG is better for Parity Raid.

Raid (1, 1/0)

Horizontal RG is simple for administration

Vertical RG : is very good to minimize rebuild time and little additionnaly performance, even if DAE gos down, you have access to your data

So Vertical RG (create in CLi Mirror on a buses and original on other buses) is better for mirror raid.

Don't forget to balance between performance, redundancy and time to administrate....

There are no only ONE solution but many solution with advantages and disadvantages...

Why lost time to adminsitrate to win a little % of performance for example ?

Regards

34 Posts

December 30th, 2010 02:00

Hi dingding

there is a hole section about this in

EMC CLARiiON Best Practices for Performance and Availability: Release 30.0 Firmware Update Applied Best Practices WP

page 54

There should be a slight performance benefit of doing vertical raidgroups, as you load more LLC's and busses, but there are some considerations about this i a case of a faulty LCC og back-end bus

Kenneth Hansen

51 Posts

December 30th, 2010 11:00

I pretty much agree with the last contribuitor Raid 1/0 would be my preferred raid choice for veritcal provisioning

No Events found!