Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2010 08:00

Can't create ndmp user

I have read the "Configuring NDMP Backups ON Celerra" manual and I just can't get the basic steps working.

I am trying to create the ndmp user using the md5 method

# /nas/sbin/server_user server_2 –add –md5 –password ndmp

The response I get is simply a prompt:

USER ID:

Not sure what do do at that prompt.  Does not do anything and if I type anything and hit return, I get "invalid numeric argument: ndmp

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:  I just figured out I am supposed to enter a User ID and Group ID.  I entered in 1000 for both.  I was thinking that the documentation was showing automatically generated output... not something I had to manually enter in.  The Documentation for NDMP is difficult...

99 Posts

In the output, the two mandatory fields, User ID (UID) and Group ID (GID), are integers. The Celerra

Network Server uses UNIX-style UIDs and GIDs to record the ownership of files and directories. The UID of the

root user is 0. The password you assign to the Data Mover can contain between six and eight characters.

- Sebby Robles

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

/nas/sbin/server_user server_2 -add -md5 –passwd user_name

Creating new user user_name

User ID: 101

Group ID: 100

Home directory:

Changing password for user user_name

New passwd:

Retype new passwd:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 13:00

Greetings,

In addition to all the other good information make sure you are logging in as "nasadmin" or same privileged account, then su'ing to root.  Doing the latter will not allow one to create the account.

Best,

Nicholas Johnson

No Events found!