Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2011 12:00

Celerra 10g with host 1G Nics

Hello Guru's,

So I am brand new to the 10g world, so please excuse my ignorance or mis-speak with my questioning. But I've searched many a forum and cannot find a straight forward, high level answer for how a 10g (fxg) optical device ultimately communicates with a host 1g NIC.

I've read up on how 10g works, w/ cat6a, jumbo packets, cisco nexus, etc, etc and it's all beginning to jumble together. I cannot find any end-to-end descriptions on how the i/o translates from optical to copper. Perhaps i am approaching this the wrong way..? Can someone please help shed some light on how this technology works, as it would be tremendously appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Chris

8.6K Posts

The 10GBit fiber can only speak 10GBit and NOT 1GBit

Copper can but the fibre standard doesn't include lower speed

Rainer

8.6K Posts

You would have to use a switch in between with both 10G and 1G ports

17 Posts

December 8th, 2011 14:00

Cool thanks, so basically there is some kind of translation that occurs at the switch level to converts the packets for the celerra 10g interface to the host 1g NIC, is that accurate and/or possible? And would we in turn create a route between this 'translating' switch and our edge so infrastructure changes are kept to a minimum?

8.6K Posts

December 9th, 2011 02:00

Its pretty normal for a switch to support different speeds

17 Posts

December 9th, 2011 10:00

It's less the change of speeds i was referring to.. more the translation like FCoE... but it sounds more straight forward than i originally thought. the switch is the must have catalyst.

No Events found!