Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2010 09:00

Celerra NS960 NDMP Backup Questions

Hello,

I am new to EMC, new to Celerra, and new to NDMP.. trying to keep up.

I am in charge of implementing a backup strategy for roughly 15 TB of files/folders on our Celerra NS960. Currently we have two virtual data movers: server_2 and server_3. Using Netbackup 6.5.4 I am seeing these backup speeds over fiber SAN direct to tape (shared tape drives):

Server_2 102 MB/Sec (362 GB/Hour) with 4 NDMP backup threads (PAX??)

Server_3 96 MB/Sec (338 GB/Hour) with 3 NDMP backup threads

At this combined speed of 700 GB/Hour, we are at 22 hours to do a full backup. All this seems slow to me and was hoping I could get a good read on about how fast I should be seeing and possibly any tips/advice for speeding things up. I've seen alot of configurable parameters for NDMP backups on the celerra: bufsz, threads, etc... I wonder which i should really look into?

Thanks!

9 Posts

September 14th, 2010 16:00

I understand that. I'm just a fast responder. I'm hoping someone reads over this stuff and says "I've seen this before!"

9 Posts

September 14th, 2010 16:00

Karl, I checked out the Tuning decision flowchart in that document you suggested. It suggested I set my paxStatBuff to 1024, but max allowable is 512, on my version of DART at least. Doh!

But as far as it's considering: the majority of my NASS buffers are sitting in GetStatPool which seems to be the bottleneck. nFTSThreads was already set to 16, perhaps dropping that back to 8 might do something I wonder...

No Events found!