Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2010 12:00

Celerra Replication - VMware

I have setup replication (thanks to the help of those in this forum) and I now have another question. I am about to replicate an iSCSI LUN with a VMware datastore on it. How can I connect the replicated LUN to my VMware host on the other end? I know how to connect it and give the host access, but I am wondering if it will recognize the datastore. Does anyone have any info on this?

8.6K Posts

while the replication is working the destination is readonly - I dont think ESX like readonly data stores

you could failover or break the replication

or create a writeable snapshot and make that available to the other ESX

I think you have to resignature as well -but I'm not a VMware expert

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2008/08/a-few-technic-1.html

This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of

the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged

information. If the reader of this message is not the intended

recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution

or copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictly

prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please contact

the sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of the

original message (including attachments).

21 Posts

I know how to failover to make it writable. I just wasnt sure if the VM host would be able to recognize the datastore once I attached it. I am waiting on the replication to complete other wise I would just try it. If you tell that I can do this and that the VM host will be able to recognize the datastore than I will award points.

21 Posts

Do you know how to resignature it?

21 Posts

February 1st, 2010 13:00

From what I have heard they allow give you things based on the points you achieve. It's nothing nice, just things like t-shirts and other useless items. However useless, if someone wants points and they deserve them, I award them.

The information in this email is intended for the named recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential matter. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email. Do not disclose the contents to anyone.

Thank you.

8.6K Posts

dbreveard wrote:

than I will award points.

dont get hung up too much on points - its not like they buy you anything

the EMC people that I know answering here do so to help in their spare time - its not like its part of their official job

personally I dont care much about points

I do however appreciate it very much to get some feedback if and how well a question was answered or a problem was solved, so that others can learn by reading here

Rainer

21 Posts

I will make sure that I gived detailed feedback once I resolve the issue. Thanks for letting me know about the points. I was not sure if EMC was like VMware with their points system.

147 Posts

How does the VMware point system work ?

21 Posts

February 1st, 2010 16:00

Thanks for the information. After stopping the replication set, I then issued the necessary commands on the destination Celerra to make the LUN read/write capable. After that, I presented the LUN to my ESXi host at the destination facility. Once that was done, I performed a rescan on the host and it discovered the available EMC disk. I then went into the storage option and added additional storage. It discovered the LUN and the associated Datastore. Once the Datastore was added, I then browsed it and added the VMs to my inventory. VSphere detected that the VMs were from another host and asked me if I wanted to resignature them. Once that was done, I was able to successfully start the VMs. Thanks to all who assisted.

The information in this email is intended for the named recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential matter. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email. Do not disclose the contents to anyone.

Thank you.

No Events found!