Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2008 17:00

Cifs Client Not able to Save their document

Hi

We have NS20 setup for Two ADs(CIFS server) and ISCSI. Now some of the users complain that they were never able to save their document directly from application e.g. open ms word and create document, when they do save as and select their personal drive they get error "The Save failed due to out of memory or Disk space".

it is not certainly the case that user have acceded his/her quote as if they save this document on their desktop and copy and paste this will work. I am not sure about Celerra but with the client it has 2Gb of RAM and this is only application they are running(for our test).

I was wondering if you guys know anything about this. will appreciate if you could advice if any.

Thank you

42 Posts

January 30th, 2008 19:00

Hi

Thanks for your reply

1) Its CIFS share (Personal Drive or home drive) and we have quota set for it.
2) Yes it happens regardless of application
3) Not much on event Logs but we get following messages
--ConnectStreadm to 172.16.47.31 failed
--Lost of Block hard quota reached message and we think other users are acceding their quota.

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 30th, 2008 19:00

I am a little confused, and get a few questions --

1. Is the personal drive a CIFS share or an iSCSI disk?
2. If they use other application, say save a file with Notepad or save a webpage with IE/Firefox, do they also get the same error?
3. Any logs or special event on the data mover side?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 30th, 2008 20:00

This is quite strange. Just searched MS knowledge base and found this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830265

Interestingly, note that in this article, "You can save Rich Text Format (.rtf) files from Word to the mapped drive, but you cannot save .doc files." Can you try if this is the case?

117 Posts

Is it possible that your users are sitting on the edge of their quota and don't realize it?

If you can reproduce exactly the situation described above (that you 1) get errors when saving through Word/Excel, 2) get a corresponding "hard quota reached" message in the DM log at this exact moment, 3) immediately save the to local drive, can copy the file successfully to the same directory on the Celerra from the local drive - WITHOUT files being deleted), then I'd suggest contacting EMC support to investigate further. It doesn't sound like something I've heard of before.

42 Posts

yes looks like that is what happening but how that is possible. Now i was also told that sometime they do not have problem saving document straight to their drive.

117 Posts

So if they save the file directly to the share, it looks like they exceed their quota, but if the same user saves the same file to a local drive, then copy it to the CIFS share (without deleting anything), then they don't get an out of space error?

296 Posts

August 26th, 2010 11:00

Is this issue with only one cifs share? if not sure please try creating the new one and check if you can do save files there..

5 Posts

No we don't have quotas enabled and there's plenty of free space on the shares.  I can copy files over but I can't open a word or excel document, make changes and save.

5 Posts

• Did you ever get a response to your questions/issues.  We're having the exact same issue and i'm not finding much help on powerlink.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

What dart version are you running ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

do you have directory/user quotas ?

5 Posts

This issue is with multiple shares on different datamovers in the environment.

5 Posts

August 26th, 2010 12:00

we just upgraded to 5.6.49-3 two weeks ago.

296 Posts

Is there any error you are receiving while saving the doc files, have you tried to saving any other documents in these shares.. ex: .rtf, .txt

8.6K Posts

I would suggest to open a service request and also take a network trace to see which error exactly you are getting .

Rainer

No Events found!