Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2013 11:00

Cifs server cannot resolve SID's?

Hi,

I am replicating a CIFS file system between a celerra and vnxe using replicator. The vnxe does not support vdm's so I had to create a new CIFS server on the vnxe and use lgdup & sharedup to copy local groups, shares and acls - basically the source_celerra CIFS config. Both CIFS servers are connected to the same AD domain.

After executing lgdup - "lgdup.exe -v -l lgdup.log \\source_celerra \\target_vnxe" and sharedup - "sharedup.exe \\source_celerra \\target_vnxe ALL /SD /R" I decided to check some of the share permissions on the target. When I select the target CIFS server and view security permissions I see SID's that cannot be resolved to a user or group i.e. S-1-5-21-819283928...The source celerra does not have any local users only domain users.

So from a replication perspective, if replicator is handing data and NTFS permissions, and sharedup is handing shares and acls, I should not see SID’s that cannot be resolved to a user or group, correct?  Again, both CIFS servers belong to the same domain and no local users are being used.

Thanks!

8.6K Posts

January 25th, 2013 12:00

Are you sure it is not your client ?

I think (not sure) that if you are displaying CIFS file security from a Windows client the VNX sends the SID and the client does the resolution to a Windows name

13 Posts

January 28th, 2013 10:00

The unresolvable SID's on the target folders belong to local groups. I think they are showing up as unresolvable because the local groups were not present on the target file server prior to starting replicator. (I used lgdup after the replication was synced with the target)

I will restart replicator now that the local groups are on the target, to see if that resolves the unresolvable SID issue.

Thanks!

275 Posts

January 29th, 2013 08:00

If using Replicator to migrate data, then the ACLs will contain same SIDs as on the source

When using LGdup to copy the local groups, they will get a new SID on destination (same as if you manually created those LG), then when looking at ACLs you will still see unresolved SIDs

If you copy files using EMCopy or Robocopy (file based utilities) and use a switch to specify that you have local groups (it’s /LG with EMCopy) then the program will “translate” ACEs so that they apply to the local group name on the target and in that case you should no longer see unresolved SIDs

Claude

275 Posts

January 29th, 2013 10:00

IP Replicator is block based, so it has no way to translate SIDs

SIDs for local groups are local to the CIFS server and as you said there are no VDMs on VNXe

You could as well take the opportunity of this migration to get rid of those LG and recreate permissions using groups from the domain (the LGs were probably created when the CIFS server was a member of an NT4 domain)

Claude

13 Posts

Thank you Bergec

13 Posts

Thank you Bergec for this explanation - very helpful.

So I should not use replicator for the replication as this will always produce unresolved SIDs? as there is no "translate" option when copying NTFS permissions?  The source file server has over 300 local groups that I need to move to the target.  Not sure if this can be resolved with replicator?

13 Posts

January 30th, 2013 10:00

I moved the source local groups to the target using lgdup, and I included the /lg switch in my emcopy command to "translate” ACEs so that they apply to the local group name on the target.  I still see unresolved SIDs.  Any ideas?

Here is the emcopy command:

emcopy.exe \\10.10.10.1\dir\ \\10.10.10.2\dir\ *.* /o /lg /s /c /r:1 /f /sdd /log+:C:\EMCopy\log1.txt

Thanks!

8.6K Posts

January 30th, 2013 11:00

SIDs for local users/groups or domain ?

8.6K Posts

January 30th, 2013 12:00

Check which ones they are – lookup their names on the src

Check if the list of localgroups on the dst is at least a subset of the localgroups on the src

What lgdup does is that it reads the source CIFS servers local grousps and it creates local groups with the same name but different SID on the destination.

Emcopy then (for localgroups) translates the SIDs in owner and ACLs – i.e. it gets the source’s SID, looks up the name, looks us the new SID for the dest and uses that.

If for some reason the SID was already unresolvable on the src or the localgroup couldn’t be created on the dst you would still get unresolvable SIDs

13 Posts

SIDs for local users/groups - The unresolvable SIDs that I see belongs to local groups from the source file server.

I thought by copying the local groups databse and using the /lg switch with emcopy would fix this?

275 Posts

I assume the names of LG are the same on src and dst and that there are no unknown SIDs on src

Have you tried with /secfix in cas files already existed on destination?

Claude

275 Posts

January 30th, 2013 13:00

Have you tried with /secfix ?

Claude

13 Posts

January 30th, 2013 14:00

I appreciate everyone’s help with this…Claude your assumption is correct.  The LGs are the same on src and dst and there are no unknown SIDs on the src.  I tried the /secfix and that did not work - there are no files on the dst (as I delete files on the dst during each copy) and after each copy I still have an unresolved SID.  This unresolved SID is the src local group.

Just so I understand, the emcopy /lg switch is supposed to translate src local groups to dst local groups, so that the dst local group is used resulting in no unresolved SIDs on the dst.  Correct?

January 30th, 2013 22:00

Now I could be making this up, but so far all talk has been about local groups.  Is it possible that the unresolved SID belongs to a local user?  Concept is the same as Rainer and Claude noted but for local users.  If not, then are there any notable error messages in the copy logs?

Speaking on behalf of an environment that has local users to also migrate, LGDUP can be used to create/replace/append the same local user database by passing the -u flag.  Then during the data copy via EMCOPY, just as you pass /lg to translate any reference of the src local groups' SID in the owner and ACL's of the files/folders but to the SID of the same named local group on the tgt, you do the same for local users via the /lu flag.

It is also important to note that when migrating local users via LGDUP, the password is not copied and needs to be changed manually.  Just a reminder.

467 Posts

January 30th, 2013 23:00

Run a "server_cifssupport server_2 -secmap -list -sid SID" on the source and find the secname... then do a "server_cifssupport serrver_2 -secmap -list |grep SECNAME".  If it finds the group/user but has a different SID you've need to reapply permissions or change the SID in the usermapper database...

Usually when i've done things like this my first step is to export the usermapper db from the target (server_usermapper server_2 -Export -user ) then disable the usermapper (server_usermapper server_2 -disable) then import with -Import...  You can still do that if the target isn't in use yet..

No Events found!