Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2010 14:00

Control Station single config failed - installing new replacement 5.6.40.3

ON NS350

my CS failed with a filesystem error, NAS PREM lab notify to me that the CS needs to be replaced.

can anyone give some help about this,

1. what is the processes and how it works to recover the config that was in the failed CS,

2. what is the step to install a replacement, how does it takes the personality of the failed CS

3. in the san where is the configuration save, that belongs to CS

4. if the hard disk is the root of failed, if i install a new one hd in the CS, how to do a disaster recover restore of DART OS. is it posible?

thanks

Maynor

8.6K Posts

August 20th, 2010 14:00

Hi Maynor,

replacement of a control station is done by an EMC or service partner technician.

They have the necessary tools and procedure (which varies between DART code and models).

Rainer

295 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 21:00

i know that

but simply a just want to know the steps, because i am going to do a phisical installation of the replacement

thats all, the rest work is going to be ejecuted by emc remotly. And i want to have an idea of this process

because is my first CS replacement. Any one had a simple explanation of the steps.

the Dart is 5.6.40.3

Thanks.

MC.

18 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 12:00

Hello,

The EMC customer service rep would normaly perform the hardware replacement.I would hope if they are assisting you that they would also be helping you with some instruction. The hardware replacement is pretty straight forward.Not sure if your Control Station is functional or not but there are some files that you may want a backup of.You can copy then off using SCP, Winscp or other methods.Your EMC rep could help you to identify which files they are. You would then simply shutdown the Control station, carefully marking all the cableing before removing. The Control Station then can be removed from the front and the new Control Staion inserted and connected in the reverse order applying the power last.The Nas code CD with the exact version of code, in your case 5.6.40.3 must be inserted in the control station cd/dvd drive to begin the replacement.The script to replace the Control station then can be run by the EMC resource.

Please understand failure to run the correct replacement script may lead to an outage so care must be taken!

295 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 15:00

Thnks Chrisv

unfortunally, actual CS, is inaccesible, thats the reason of replacement, we have troubles trying to access some filesystem, with errors.

I want to know if i am unable to access the actual control station and there is no backup of the some files you mentioned

am i going to see my nas personal configuration intact, after replacements completes

thanks.

mc.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 16:00

what do you mean by NAS configuration ..CIFS/NFS ? Control Station can be offline and Celerra will continue to function.

295 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 22:00

sure dynamox

celerra is up and working in a production environment

i undestand that, but i am unable to configure, add or delete something else

cause the control station is dead.

I am awaiting for a replacement.

what am i trying to explain and ask is, if  the new CS will keep all definitions

that the failed CS had

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 24th, 2010 05:00

i had CS replaced on one of my NS40 a month ago. I had to provide CE with ip/mask/gateway/dns/smtp information so it's either not documented anywhere on EMC side or he did not know how to retrieve that information.  I had a couple of custom scripts in /home/nasadmin and they were gone after replacement so if that's what you mean by definitions then hopefully you have a copy somewhere else.

8.6K Posts

August 24th, 2010 06:00

The major config like file systems, shares, ... isn’t kept on the control station HDD so it will be recovered and the system config will look like the old.

There might be some details like control station IP or callhome config that need to be recovered or entered manually during the procedure.

Also any changes that you have done manually to local files or content in /home/nasadmin will be lost unless you can find a backup.

If you need the exact procedure than you need to ask the support engineer doing or helping with the replacement for it.

Rainer

295 Posts

thanks dynamox

the thing is more simple,

am i going to admin the new control station without any diference with the old one.

and am i going to view all filesystem, cifs servers, datamovers, credentials, etc. as if nothing had happened?

how do they that?

what are they going to required from me before adding the CS?

and what is the step to add this new CS

mc

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

am i going to admin the new control station without any diference with the old one.

and am i going to view all filesystem, cifs servers, datamovers, credentials, etc. as if nothing had happened?

how do they that?

what are they going to required from me before adding the CS?

and what is the step to add this new CS

mc

i don't have access to CE replacement procedure but i can tell you that you will manage it as if nothing happened.

18 Posts

August 24th, 2010 07:00

Sorry Maynor did not get to your reply sooner. All of what was stated by Dynamox and Ranier is correct. It will just be any site specific stuff that you had in the /home directory that will have to be restored if the Control Station is dead.Everything else should be as it was before the replacement.As stated your local

EMC rep will help with any and all the details.

Chris

August 24th, 2010 07:00

Hi ,

Since the Control station OS is on the local hard drive and not on the backend storage,all the data and configuration information on Control station must be recovered from backup.

the NASDB backup process backups EMC NAS information to the backend on hourly basis

After replacing control station the following items may be recoverable Via NASDB backup:

1)/home/nasadmin/.bash_profile

2)selected files from control station's /etc

as mentioned by Rainer earlier

replacement of a control station is done by an EMC or service partner technician and they will have the necessary infomation and procedure .

let us know if this helps

Regards,

Vanitha

1.5K Posts

August 24th, 2010 10:00

Maynor need not to be worried about any backup and restore of configuration for the control station. What ever needs to be done will be done by the EMC engineer following standard procedure to replace a control station. The NAS related configuration and the NASDB backup are on the shared storage and can reconfigure the replacement control station.

However, during the replacement of the control station - following information is needed with respect to control station. EMC engineer may ask for these - so please keep them available

1) Host name

2) IP Address

3) Gateway

4) Netmask

5) Domain Name

6) DNS servers

The Time zone, Time and NTP server need to be set up manually.

However, in this process, if any files/folders were stored manually on the faulted control station (although you should not keep anything on the control station manually).

Thanks,
Sandip

295 Posts

August 24th, 2010 10:00

dynamox,rainer,chrisv,vanitha,sandip

thanks to all

litle by litle, i am feeding and undertanding the way a CS replacement can be done.

great and valuable information.

great for "shared storage"

i will be ready for all information required before doing this job

last questions

1. what could hapend if i need to do an emergency NAS shutdown, does the datamovers going to start normally giving their CIFS, NFS, etc,

service available without a CS?

2. still NASDB backup command, is executing without CS on each datamovers?

3. is a good practice to backup local CS hard disk? why?

in my case if a file system was corrupted and unrecoverable, how could i be use a recently backup of the local CS hard disk,

if there is no access to linux OS

4. can i think in using some backup bearmetal image hard disk product, could that help.

5. any tip or command to try recover the filesystem meanwhile new CS arrived, i already had a serial conection to the control station.

(sorry for my english) and spend all my point to asign

MC.

8.6K Posts

August 24th, 2010 11:00

you don't need a backup of the control station HDD but you might want to copy the already done nasdb backup and any local content to another system or backup

I contains everything support would need to re-create the config

I don't think we allow bare-metal recover to interfere with our replacement procedure

Rainerno, without a control station you can't boot the system

No Events found!