Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2009 03:00

DART is which Linux ?

As i understand from Simulator that control station is a RHEL OS, then DART is based on which OS ? Linux ? which Linux OS ?

Thank you.

366 Posts

November 10th, 2009 03:00

Hi,

Celerra ( Data Movers ) run aproprietary specialized O/S called ¿DART¿ [Data Access in Real Time].

DART (Data Access in Real Time) is an embedded, real-time, operating system comprising a modified UNIX kernel and dedicated file server software that together transfer files and multimedia data across a network using a variety of network protocols.

In summary: DART file server software executes entirely in the kernel--a real-time kernel, the design of which is based on monotonic scheduling.[The DART kernel environment is not a generic user-application environment. Instead, the DART kernel provides a run-time environment for the file service; an embedded, dedicated application. The DART file server software is linked with the kernel into a single system image that is loaded for execution at boot time.

See primus emc126023.

Gustavo Barreto.

8.6K Posts

November 10th, 2009 04:00

DART itself isnt based on Linux, not even pieces

Its a EMC proprietary microkernel

Only the control station that is not in the CIFS/NFS/ISCSI/... data path is based on a modified Linux

8.6K Posts

November 16th, 2009 07:00

alias23122 schrieb:

I always thought DART was embedded Windows storage server. Celerra has stickers for Windows storage server license on them, so I thought that's what it was.

no - definitely not

I havent seen the stickers but they might have to do with that EMC pays a CIFS royalty to Microsoft for each Celerra CIFS license sold.

This way we get access to the API's and code - but DART itself is nothing like Windows and we dont use the Windows code.

yes, it starts off as nas.exe but thats just the bootstrap

Rainer

139 Posts

November 16th, 2009 07:00

I always thought DART was embedded Windows storage server. Celerra has stickers for Windows storage server license on them, so I thought that's what it was.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2009 05:00

[nasadmin@NS40-1CS nasadmin]$ uname --version
uname (GNU sh-utils) 2.0.11
Written by David MacKenzie.

Copyright (C) 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
[nasadmin@NS40-1CS nasadmin]$ uname -a
Linux NS40-1CS 2.4.20-28.5507.EMC #1 Thu Jun 14 20:23:49 EDT 2007 i686 unknown
[nasadmin@NS40-1CS nasadmin]$

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

this is Control Station not the datamovers themselves.

11 Posts

So which Embedded RTOS used in DART ? is it based on VxWorks ? Or it is a completely EMC developed OS ?

• 

284 Posts

November 27th, 2009 15:00

shashiemc wrote:

So which Embedded RTOS used in DART ? is it based on VxWorks ? Or it is a completely EMC developed OS ?

DART is completely and totally EMC developed.

The Control Station is a GNU Linux kernel that has been appropriately modified and is called EMC Control Station Linux.  It is NOT any version of Red Hat, or any other OS, either.  It may contain pieces of other code, but it all complies with open-source standards.

No Events found!