Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2010 12:00

Datamover Failover and how it affects VMs

I am currently at a point where i need to failover Server_2 to Server_3 so the Server_2 can be rebooted. I have many VMWare VMs (vSphere 4) running via software iSCSI on this NX4 device and i am curious if anyone has done this and what happens to their VMs running when you do the failover and failback. I have tested it with a second NX4 box here but only with a couple VMs running at 1 time. They seem to go out for about 10 Seconds and them come right back just as they were. Is this supposed to be true also if i have about 30 VMs running from the production NX4 device? Will they come back or will they bluescreen?

Any info would be great...thanks.

57 Posts

August 18th, 2010 09:00

The downtime involved with the failover depends on how much load the Data Mover is handling means how many FS are loaded and other things that are mounted on the DM. It may vary from 2 minutes to 15 minutes. As far as the VMs are concerned they should come up without any issues (with some inaccessibility while server_3 take over). If there is any issue with the VMs loading. Please contact support team. 

296 Posts

August 10th, 2010 13:00

Suggestions from one who have experienced any problems while doing this would be helpfull.

Sameer Kulkarni

296 Posts

August 10th, 2010 13:00

Hello,

The data mover failover takes about few mins. once the server_3 takes over the VM's should come bak normal and should continue to work.

Sameer Kulkarni

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 10th, 2010 14:00

it depends how long it takes to failover, during my last dart upgrade one datamover took 16 minutes to failover ..no VMs would have survived that. Take a look at this paper and make sure all time-outs are set accordingly.

https://powerlink.emc.com/nsepn/webapps/btg548664833igtcuup4826/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/H5536-vmware-esx-srvr-using-emc-celerra-stor-sys-wp.pdf

August 18th, 2010 10:00

Great...thank you all for the information.

No Events found!