Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2012 13:00

EMC NAS Service not starting

After a recent planned power outage I cannot ping or putty into my control station or http into my celerra management software. I can however hyperterminal into the control station. I got a message telling me tath EMC NAS Service could not start due to a couple of reasons: 1) The service is still starting please try agin in 15 minutes or reboot  2) A software upgrdade is in progress. I rebooted the system yesterday and checked on it today via hyperterminal; I still get the same message telling me that the EMC NAS Service did not start. I am not familiar with the commamds to check on and start services in linux. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 8th, 2012 14:00

just one control station ? If yes then you need to get support involved, there could be issue with the control station.

26 Posts

August 8th, 2012 14:00

Yes it is just one control station. I do not have a support contract. So I am trying to research and troubleshoot the issue myself. You think I might need to contact a CE?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 8th, 2012 15:00

CE will not help you unless you have a valid support contract.

what does this command show ?

/nasmcd/sbin/getreason

26 Posts

August 8th, 2012 15:00

"6 - slot_0 control station ready"

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 9th, 2012 10:00

to see what the control station can communication with, on a working system you would see something like this:

10 - slot_0 primary control station

5 - slot_2 contacted

5 - slot_3 contacted

where slot_2 and slot_3 are my datamovers.

26 Posts

What was the purpose of that command? I still cannot access my Celerra management console or putty into my control station.

812 Posts

Is there any amber LED on the front of the system ? 

26 Posts

August 9th, 2012 14:00

There are no amber lights showing; I have a green "power-on" LED, a green fault LED, and even a green network LED

August 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi Galvatron,

Yes, please take this to Celerra forum, as you will get more light from NAS experts there.

Thanks

Anirudh

26 Posts

August 10th, 2012 07:00

Should I take this problem to the Celerra forum?

26 Posts

August 10th, 2012 09:00

Does anyone have any help or insight in this matter?

33 Posts

August 10th, 2012 10:00

Assuming that all is well with the hardware and software, the most likely problem is the sequencing of the power-up.

For NAS services to be running and the Control Station to be responsive, the Data Movers need to be able to access the storage backend. Hence, the correct sequence for power-up is:

Storage first --- Wait for it to be ready not in an error state

Data Movers second --- Wait for them to become ready, having booted from the backend storage

Control Station last --- NAS service relies on the DM's being up and able to access the storage backend.

Unfortunately, what tends to happen, it the system is powered up back the rack switch, then all the components tend to come up in the wrong order. Typically, CS first, then DM's then storage.

This insight assumes that there are no hardware of software problems holding the system down and that the DM connectivity to the storage is intact.

13 Posts

August 10th, 2012 16:00

Hi,

what is model of your NAS?

when you entered /nasmcd/sbin/getreason, you got just one line with control station ? no info from datamovers ?

I agree with Kajibade and Richard, probabily your backend is not powered on or has a hardware issue.

is it's backend is dedicated to NAS (integrated system) or is it shared with SAN (gateway or FC enabled systems) ? if shared,  how is the state of other hosts that access celerra's backend ?

474 Posts

August 10th, 2012 16:00

This is the first thing I thought of when reading your problem...

I would unplug power to the datamovers and control station, leaving the backend array powered up.  Be sure that backend array is healthy (no amber lights) and the finish by powering up the datamovers, wait 5 minutes, and power up the control station again.

26 Posts

August 13th, 2012 09:00

MY NAS is an NS-80; I am not familiar with this piece of equipment as I inherited the responsibility of managing it from a previous administrator. As far as I can tell my array is working fine. My clients are able to access the file shares and I can ping my datamovers just fine. I am not sure how to amswer this quesion, "is itt's backend is dedicated to NAS (integrated system) or is it shared with SAN (gateway or FC enabled systems)?". I do not know what gateway or FC enabled systems means. As far as unplugging things goes, the only thing that I can actually unplug is the storage processors, which I'm sure you're not supposed to just unplug. If I do poweroff my datmovers and control station how will this affect my users accessing the file shares?

No Events found!