Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2012 13:00

EMC NAS Service not starting

After a recent planned power outage I cannot ping or putty into my control station or http into my celerra management software. I can however hyperterminal into the control station. I got a message telling me tath EMC NAS Service could not start due to a couple of reasons: 1) The service is still starting please try agin in 15 minutes or reboot  2) A software upgrdade is in progress. I rebooted the system yesterday and checked on it today via hyperterminal; I still get the same message telling me that the EMC NAS Service did not start. I am not familiar with the commamds to check on and start services in linux. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

12 Posts

December 7th, 2012 05:00

i'm working on the secondary control station.  the primary failed and it doesn't appear that the secondary was able to take over.   when i try to do ./cs_standby -takeover   i get the error message that the NAS service isn't running on slot_0.   all i get with the getreason is 6 - slot_1 control station ready.     i'm also missing the slot_2 and slot_3 status saying the datamovers are contacted.  perhaps my configuration is incorrect or missing something?  does the nas service need to talk to the data movers to start properly?  

8.6K Posts

December 7th, 2012 06:00

Please open a service request or use the customer service live chat

You’ll get a faster resolution there than back and forth on the forum

26 Posts

February 25th, 2013 10:00

icon2000, I am sorry for replying months later. I was never able to resolve the issues on that particular control station. I wound up having to replace the entire CS. Hopefully you were able to resolve your issues without having to replace yours because it is very expensive to do so.

Cheers

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2013 16:00

There could be backend control LUN that are faulted or has dirty cache.

If the control LUNS are not available the nas services will not come up, apart from /NAS.

19 Posts

March 26th, 2013 13:00

i would check if the Box Monitor or the NASMCD Service is running or not..

you can do

df -h to see nbsnas, nas, /nas/dos & /nas/var its mounted...

it is neccessary for them to mounted in order to run nas command.

if they are not mounted you can manually mount them by doing /sbin/service nas start under root

wait about 15 mintues then do ps -ef | grep box to see if boxmonitor is running or not..

if it doesn't come up in 15 mintues then do a reboot by issuing reboot

after another reboot wait another 15 minutes ...if it doesn't work then the hd probably is corrupted the CS replacement is probably needed.

p.s. i would also check there is a dvd media inside of the control station...that might cause a issue when the cs reboots too..

hope it helps.

No Events found!