Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2016 12:00

EMCOPY using a specific last modify date

Planning a Celerra to Isilon CIFS migration.  I am interested in only migrating maybe the last two years worth of data.  Does emcopy support a copy based on a specific last modify date?  Tried the /d:yyyymmdd, no go.  It would be a shame to have to use some other tool, I think emcopy does a great job with performance, NTFS security.

Forgot to mention, the vast majority of files in these shares have been archived using our EMC CTA.

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

July 29th, 2016 06:00

in my case ended up using robocopy for this very reason

July 29th, 2016 07:00

Robocopy has no issues with CTA stub files?  The vast majority of files in this share have been archived by our CTA.  I'd hate to have these files recalled during the copy.

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

July 29th, 2016 07:00

ok, to be clear, this is being used in a Celerra -> Celerra copy not Isilon. I was referring to the lack of date logic in forcing robocopy rather than emcopy.

July 29th, 2016 08:00

It is Celerra to Isilon CIFS migration.  My intent of the post was to verify that emcopy does not have the ability to use date logic such as last access/modify date.  I appreciate your confirmation of this,, I've tried a few variations of /d:mmddyy, similar to what's used in Robocopy.

As for stub files, during my search I came across the post listed below.  Member refers to robocopy not understanding stub files and was forced to use emcopy.  Have you or has anyone else used robocopy on a large CIFS share that contained mostly CTA stub files?

https://community.emc.com/message/381824#381824

8.6K Posts

August 2nd, 2016 03:00

I can confirm that emcopy doesnt implement copying files based on date

In terms of stub file handling it depends your DHSM backup mode setting

see the FileMover / DHSM Manual for more info

if that is set correctly and the copy tool invokes backup mode then only the stub is copied.

emcopy always uses backup mode - with robocopy you have to use a switch (/Archive I think)

August 2nd, 2016 11:00

I've tried Robocopy with the /B (backup mode according to the help file), the stub files are recalled. 

Source Celerra Directory Properties >  Size: 2.72GB  Size on Disk: 5.62MB  (130 Files, 32 Folders)

Destination Isilon Directory Properties after Robocopy > Size: 2.72GB  Size on Disk: 2.74GB (130 Files, 32 Folders)

The /A switch copies only files with the Archive attribute set. 

8.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 11:00

Did you check what the DHSM backup mode is set on the VNX ?

August 5th, 2016 12:00

Celerra Backup mode is set to passthrough.  I'm being told it should be set to offline?   If offline is correct, what are the implications of this for our regular backups and User access while the file share still resides on the Celerra?

No Events found!