Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

March 1st, 2010 10:00

Free space in NAS storage pool

As a rule/best practice how much free space should be available in a NAS storage pool to ensure smooth operations. (Either a GB total or a % of total allocated to pool)

March 1st, 2010 10:00

Does the storage pool contain any sav-vols for checkpoints?

2 Posts

March 1st, 2010 13:00

At the moment only 1 file system has a checkpoint (created at 2GB due to limited space available in the storage pool). We are only able to get successful backups of certain filesystems with TOC using checkpoints. What I want to do is to set the global ndmp parameter so a temporary checkpoint gets created while the backup is running and we do not have to rely on checkpoint schedules. I am working though how much storage I need to add to the pools for each file system temporary checkpoint but what I would like to know if how much "extra" I need available in the pool. I have heard that if there is not enough free space in the pool this can impact the NAS operations but I cannot find any documentation to support that.

8.6K Posts

March 2nd, 2010 02:00

I dont think there is a good general number

I really depends how you use the system - like checkpoints, replication and file system extention

there are customers pre-planning and allocating everything upfront and dont leave any space - usually that gets them in trouble when they need some additional small object like a VDM

No Events found!