Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2009 08:00

How do I reboot a data mover?

I'm a Celerra newbie and for the life of me cannot find an option to reboot a data mover. Can I do this through the Celerra Manager web interface or the Navisphere web interface? There is no problem with the equipment but I am in the process of qualifying the Celerra where I work and one of my functional tests is that the data mover boots without error but I can't find a way to "gracefully" reboot it.

Also, is there a quick log I can view that shows the boot up process that I would be able to use as proof that it booted error free?

Thanks in advance.

1.5K Posts

Hi,

Welcome to the EMC support forums.

You can reboot a data mover through Celerra Web Manager or from Command Line (CLI).

In Celerra Manager - Under "Data Movers" - select the server_x on the right pane and right click on it to select "Reboot".

Using CLI - the command is

server_cpu server_x -reboot now

to shutdown the data mover, in place of reboot you can choose -halt.

However, using these options do not initiate a data mover failover - so you have to be absolutely careful on a production environment.

You may consider failing over the data mover to standby data mover - which will reboot the original data mover in the process to failover to the standby data mover.

In other words, if server_2 is running on slot_2 and slot_3 is the standby one - failover server_2 so that it now runs on slot_3 and slot 2 gets rebooted. The command will be
server_standby server_2 -activate mover

When you fail back from slot 3 to slot 2 - server_2 is back on data mover 2 (slot_2) and slot_3 gets rebooted - the command will be
server_standby server_2 -restore mover.

Please refer to the "Celerra Network Server System Operations" document available on Powerlink or User Documentation CD for more details.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Sandip

Message was edited by: Updated the process of rebooting using Celerra Manager
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

do you have a active/passive configuration where one datamover is primary and the other one is standby ? You could test to make sure datamovers can failover and failback cleanly.

if you just want to reboot it, click on datamovers tab in Celerra Manager, right click on datamover and select reboot. What are you trying to test ?

4 Posts

June 16th, 2009 09:00

We are in a primary / standby configuration. Thanks for showing me where the reboot option was. I was trying to find it from the lefthand menu tree. I am only wanting to test that a data mover can reboot without error, not the failover/failback feature.

Is there a log file that will show that the reboot of the data mover is successful?

1.5K Posts

June 16th, 2009 09:00

You may use -monitor option from CLI -

server_cpu server_x -reboot -monitor now

This will provide you the status of the reboot process with "done" when completed.

Also use /nas/sbin/getreason command to ensure that the data mover is rebooted and in contacted state.

You may also see the following codes as the Data Mover or blade reboots:
0 (reset) ¿ Data Mover or blade performing a power on self-test (POST)
1 (DOS booted) ¿ Data Mover or blade booting to DOS
3 (loaded) ¿ operating system loaded and initializing
4 (ready) ¿ operating system initialized
5 (contacted) ¿ Data Mover or blade available

Lastly - you may look at Control Station System Logs: /nas/log/sys_log - for getting this type of logs - for a data mover reboot - you may find a message from logged by "BoxMonitor" stating that a slot is rebooted - ensure the status ends with (1) at the end which confirms successfull reboot - for example

Jun 11 1:19:27 2009 BoxMonitor:6:45 Slot 3 has rebooted. (1)

Hope this helps.
Sandip

Message was edited by:
Sandip

26 Posts

June 16th, 2009 11:00

you can also run /nas/sbin/getreason

This will show you the current status of the datamovers. Fully booted datamovers look like this:

5 - slot_2 contacted
5 - slot_3 contacted
5 - slot_4 contacted
5 - slot_5 contacted
5 - slot_6 contacted
5 - slot_7 contacted
5 - slot_8 contacted
5 - slot_9 contacted

You want the first colum to be a 5 and the status to say contacted.

Sorry, just saw that Sandip already posted this.

Message was edited by:
cosse

1.5K Posts

Please refer to the last portion of my previous post - the /nas/log/sys_log file will mention that the data mover reboot is successful as reported by "BoxMonitor" facility in the log.
Thanks,
Sandip

4 Posts

Is there a log file I can look at that will show the data mover successfully came back up without error?
No Events found!