Go to Solution

August 6th, 2010 20:00

Lost iSCSI LUN

EMC Celerra NS-120

DART 5.6.48-7

FLARE 04.29.000.5.003

VMware ESX 4.x and ESXi 4.x

Lab Environment

A few weeks ago, I was performing IOMETER testing with a virtual machine (VM) which resided on an iSCSI LUN backed by a file system on the Celerra. I had performed the same testing many months prior with no issues.  This time around, however, for some reason the LUN must have become corrupt.  While the LUN was still visible in Celerra Manager, it was no longer readable by the ESX operating system.  Performing a rescan of the corrupted LUN via the swISCSI HBA took a few minutes whereas normally this would only take a few seconds.  Fortunately this was the only VM and there was no important data on the LUN.

Using CM, I was able to delete the LUN.  Initially, the delete operation returned an error which included the text VersionSet_Busy, but the LUN had nonetheless disappeared.  It's no longer visible in CM.

The problem is that I cannot create a new replacement iSCSI LUN on the same file system because there is not enough space available.  The old LUN, while gone, still seems to be reserving file system space.  There is one other iSCSI LUN backed by the same file system which is still in tact, so I have not deleted that LUN and of course I haven't deleted the file system which both LUNs used.

I would appreciate some guidance on removing whatever metadata that remains from this LUN so that I can recreate it and continue IOMETER testing again.

Thank you,

Jas

99 Posts

August 7th, 2010 13:00

Jason.

Could you open up a Chat Session via Powerlink with NAS Support, or open up an SR so that we can dial in.   Please be sure to specify the LUN and associated filesystem.  We'll need to dial-in to further investigate.

Thanks.

- Sebby Robles

99 Posts

August 7th, 2010 07:00

Good morning.

Have you tried deleting the iSCSI LUN?  If so, do you get any sort of error?  It is possible that you have some snaps that need to be deleted.

Thanks.

- Sebby Robles

August 7th, 2010 12:00

As mentioned in the original post, I did delete the iSCSI LUN via Celerra Manager and I received an error (also mentioned above).  The error seemed to indicate that the LUN failed to delete, yet after acknowledging the error, the LUN was gone from Celerra Manager.  The LUN, however, is still consuming file system space.  That is the problem.

August 8th, 2010 19:00

What is the latest update on this issue. Did you seek the Celerra support?

August 14th, 2010 13:00

I have opened SR 36210584

Thank you,

Jas

Message was edited by: jasonboche

August 15th, 2010 16:00

This issue has been resolved by EMC via the SR.

Dylan Son Xuan, PREM NAS AMER, did a nice job.

Thank you,

Jas

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 16th, 2010 04:00

Jas,

can you share the solution or was it some internal nasdb cleanup that had to be done ?

November 6th, 2010 19:00

I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what he did.  I left him unattended and he resolved the issue.  I believe the problem was that even though the LUN was removed and gone from the Celerra management standpoint, the large backing file for the iSCSI LUN was orphaned, still in existence, and taking up file system space.  He was able to delete this file and peace was restored.

November 7th, 2010 17:00

EMC Support is very good about documenting all actions taken in the "Notes" section of the SR.  This case is no different and everything the support team did is listed in great detail.  Basically the resolution was to follow KB (Primus) article: emc198642.

Dynamox,

As an EMC employee, you have visibility to all of the SR's also.  Log into PowerLink -> "My Support" and enter the SR #36210584.

November 7th, 2010 18:00

Sorry about that.  I misunderstood the small icon "emc-experts" under your avatar.  From the rate you post and the quality of your answers can you blame me for implying that. 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 7th, 2010 18:00

Dynamox,

As an EMC employee, you have visibility to all of the SR's also.  Log into PowerLink -> "My Support" and enter the SR #36210584.

Christopher ..i do not work for EMC.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 7th, 2010 19:00

hehe ..welcome to the forums Christopher.

No Events found!