Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2007 03:00

Migrating/moving FS on Celerra from CX-700 to CX3-80

Hi

Our current CX-700 Clariion is full and our filesystems are filling up, so we've gotten a new CX3-80 with some additional TB of storage.

Now, what i want to be able to do is basicly move some of the current filesystems residing on the CX-700 to the new CX3-80, with as little downtime and changes as possible. I.e i want the CIFS servers and vdm's to stay the same they are. Preferrably i'd like to let the new filesystems on the CX3 have the same name as the original filesystems (after the move is complete).

So, in short, does the following "plan" make sense ? or am i completely lost.... :)

1) Create a new filesystem on the CX3.
2) Take a checkpoint of the filesystem i want to move/migrate
3) Copy the checkpoint to the new filesystem (I assume the new filesystem can be larger than the old one)
4) Stop access to the old cifs-share/filesystem
5) Take another checkpoint and do an incremental copy
6) Verify that all data is availible on new filesystem
7) remove/rename old filesystem
8) rename new filesystem to same name as old one
9) Make sure new filesystem is mounted at the same place & with same name as the old one.
10) Voila, done, let users access the cifs share(s) again.

And yes, i will talk to our local emc nas guy, but wanted to have a general idea of a sensible way of doing this before i talked alot with them about it.......

Message was edited by:
BjornMartinLarsen

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2007 05:00

that's exact same thing i went thru this past weekend migrating from CX700 to DMX3 :). Your plan looks good ..i did not rename file systems to old names because CIFS rely on mountpoint ..so as long as you mount the new file system under the same mount point ..everything will be ok. If you like i can post the command that i ran ..just to save you some time reading wonderful EMC documentation :)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

it this example:

fs46 - source file system on CX700
fs52 - destination file system on DMX3

i am creating fs52 to be the same size as fs46 ..it will be resized later on.

let me know if something does not make sense:

1. Create destination file system with rawfs file system.
nas_fs -name fs52 -type rawfs -create samesize=fs46 pool=symm_std storage=000290100222

2.Mount destination file system read only
server_mount server_3 -option ro fs52 /dmx3

3.Create first ckpt of source file system
fs_ckpt fs46 -name fs46_ckpt1 ¿Create

4.Copy first ckpt of file system to destination file system
fs_copy -start fs46_ckpt1 fs52 -option convert=no

5.Create second ckpt of source file system
fs_ckpt fs46 -name fs46_ckpt2 ¿Create

6.Copy incremental changes between first checkpoint and second checkpoint to destination file system
fs_copy -start fs46_ckpt2 fs52 -fromfs fs46_ckpt1

7.permanently umount and delete migration checkpoints (fs46_ckpt1 and fs46_ckpt2)
nas_fs -delete fs46_ckpt1 -o umount=yes
nas_fs -delete fs46_ckpt2 -o umount=yes

8.permantely umount fs 46
server_umount server_3 -perm fs46
9.permanently umount fs 52 from its temporary mount point
server_umount server_3 -perm fs52

10.mount fs52 with old moutnpoint

That would be excellent :)

(and the reason i was thinking of renaming the filesystem is to avoid having to update the documentation :p)

8.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2007 02:00

looks good.

If you have the license for Celerra Replicator, you could also do it from the GUI with just a couple of mouse clicks :-).

Just create the new file system, start a replication session and when your clients are ready press failover.

Celerra Replicator does the very same fx_copy steps for its initial data copy and then also copies the changes to the source file system to the destination every couple of minutes using its own deltaset mechanism.

51 Posts

November 26th, 2008 12:00

Do these procedures also work on the root files system of a VDM? I am looking to migrate VDM's and the files systems mounted to them to a different array attached to an NS502G. Do not have Celerra Replicator license so we cannot use any of the nas_replicate commands to migrate VDM's and mounted file systems. I imagine to get copy the VDM's in a clean state I would need to unload them. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

8.6K Posts

November 26th, 2008 13:00

yes, to copy root file systems you should use a block-based tool like fs_copy or nas_copy

An easier way would be to ask your sales team if you can use a Replicator license for a couple of weeks

51 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 13:00

Thanks Rainer! I was able to get a copy and successfully tested moving a VDM and its mounted file system over to the new storage and then back to its original storage with changed data using the -swtichover command. For ease of failback I would like to use the -switchover, but have a question once I am on the destination storage. To keep everything on the destination storage and not reverse would I just delete the replication session? Thanks!

8.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 15:00

glad it worked

yes, just use switchover, then delete the replication session, the replication interconnect and your old VDMs and file systems.

switchover and reverse do the same things, except that a reserve will as the last step restart the replication session in the other direction

In case you're wondering - failover compared to that will not do any sychronisation and should only be used when the source side is no longer available

Now that you know how easy it is ask your sales guys how much it costs - its really a nice DR or B2D solution and we have pretty small Celerra's these days :-)

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2009 10:00

yes and use the default (no mode option which means both)

mode source or destination are only needed if one side isnt operational

see the man page or Replicator manual for more thorough explanation

23 Posts

Do you delete the replication sessions from the source (old NS) or the target (new NS)? Also, which -mode should be used both | source | destination?

23 Posts

Thanks for the fast reply!

Was the "yes" to run the command from the source (old NS) or the destination (new NS where everything is now running?

23 Posts

Thanks again for the quick reply! I really appreciate the help.

8.6K Posts

always from the source

23 Posts

November 20th, 2009 08:00

One last question ... should I initiate the switchover of the VDM before the file systems?
No Events found!