Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 11th, 2008 09:00

Mounting RO filesystem

Hi,

I have a file system on NS80G Server_2 as R/w.i would like to mount the same file system as R/O on another datamover,server_3.If it is not possible,Can this be done by Virtual datamovers for NFS?
Any thoughts?

130 Posts

Filesystem needs to be shared by two components residing in two different networks and because of security i am not allowed to plug both the networks on the DM.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

file system can only be mounted on one datamover at a time. What are you trying to do? backups ?

130 Posts

December 11th, 2008 10:00

I am trying to mount the file system RO on a different DM but gives me an error this already belongs to server_2 as r/w.Is there any command/option i am missing?

8.6K Posts

well, you can mount a file system on multiple data movers, but then ALL mounts have to be readonly

what are you trying to achieve ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

according to Rainer ..it will not allow you to mount it RO if it's already mounted RW on another datamover.

8.6K Posts

ok- understood

if readonly file system for the other data mover(s) and some time lag is acceptable what I could see is:

- if you have a Celerra Replicator license do an internal replication from server_2 to server_3 and the destination file system will be available readonly

- or script that will fs_copy/nas_copy (nas_copy technically requires a license as well)

- use a client to sync the file systems - its easy to do with rsync or ftp mirror, but you would need a client that can get to both network which probably isnt allowed

130 Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

Sorry i missed that.What about if i use VDM?Would that be possible? or since it is acting like a regular datamover it's R/O for multiple DMs?

8.6K Posts

December 12th, 2008 08:00

similar - a virtual data mover is mostly a "container" for CIFS config plus the separation that a CIFS
client conntection to C$ can only see/access the file systems that are mounted on that VDM and not the whole data mover.

so yes, you could mount a file system on the physical data mover (just once read-write) and then share it
to multiple CIFS servers on different VDMs, but on the SAME physical data mover.

If that sepearation is enough then fine. For CIFS access you specify which interface is used per CIFS server.

But the interfaces are really owned by the physical data mover - so if your security people dont like having the different subnets on one physical data mover than VDMs dont help.

at least if I understood correctly what you want to achieve
No Events found!