Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2014 10:00

Move NX4 control station to another power circuit.

I have an NX4 with 3 DAE's.  Most of this is power redundant except for the control station.  I am working on balancing the load across the two different legs of the UPS and one of the PDU's the control station is on needs to be moved to another circuit.  What is the effect of this in terms of the NX4 serving NFS data to vmware hosts and replicating?  Should I log into the control station and do a shutdown?  Just a standard shutdown -h now, or is there another procedure. 

I should be able to do this non disruptively as the other devices on this PDU have second power supplies on another PDU.  The control station however only has one power supply.

Thanks for the insight.

130 Posts

March 25th, 2014 10:00

The control station is for management only, so removing the power to it will not effect your NFS data.  You will simply not be able to manage the array until the control station is back up and running.  Run /sbin/halt to gracefully shut it down.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 25th, 2014 11:00

any SnapSure schedules won't run while CS is offline.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

March 25th, 2014 11:00

Ok fair enough.

Actually all of our power 'balancing' is to make room for the new VNX 5200.  It's racked and cabled but can't connect it to power until we get this UPS balanced since it will be using both legs at 208V.

Reason I mention that is because the nice thing about the new system is that it has two control stations.  The NX4 does not and I'm not sure if that was even an order-able option back then.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 26th, 2014 14:00

The NFS data is being served from the Data Mover and not the Control Station. Do you have Celerra Replicator running?

• 

284 Posts

April 4th, 2014 13:00

The NX4 was never intended to be such a system that it would require two Control Stations.  Even the smaller VNX systems can be scaled up, unlike the NX4 which was based off of the Clariion AX4-5F backend.  This system had limitations beyond only having a single CS.

No Events found!