Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 19th, 2010 15:00

Multiple Clariions same Storage Pool for NAS Celerra Gateway ????

So I just configured a NAS Gateway with a second Clariion.  It was configured/connected to a CX700 ONLY.  I'm getting ready to migrate all File Systems to a new CX4-960.  My question is as follows: I just added one LUN to test.  I was under the impresssion that the Celerra would create a different Storage Pool based on the fact that the new LUN belongs to the CX4-960.  This however wasn't the case and it just added the volume to a pre-existing storage pool.  Forcing me to create a user defined pool.

Is this by design???

8.6K Posts

August 19th, 2010 15:00

Yes, I think so (see the manual)

However I also think that AVM wouldn’t create a file system that spans file systems

When you now create a new fs – do you have to specify the storage system as well as the pool ?

When creating a user-defined pool please make sure that by default it wont stripe like system pools

Newer codes have an option to enable this – on older ones you have to stripe yourself toget comparable performance (put stripes instead of dvols into the pool just like AVM would do)

Rainer

P.S.: is there a reason that you don’t use the support forum ?

this area is for software developer and doesn’t get much people answering

40 Posts

August 19th, 2010 19:00

Are you referring to Slice Pool Volumes by Default Option?

I wasn't aware that this "area" was for software developer.

Thanks,

Damian

8.6K Posts

August 19th, 2010 23:00

no - there should be something like a profile option

what DART rev are you using?

8.6K Posts

August 20th, 2010 03:00

Hi Damien,

your thread started in the EDN (EMC Developer Network) area - I now moved it into the ESN (EMC Support Forum) Celerra category

Rainer

40 Posts

August 20th, 2010 11:00

I'm currently running 5.6.45.5.

Thanks,

Damian

40 Posts

August 20th, 2010 11:00

Sounds good will keep that in mind.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 20th, 2010 12:00

when i had two clariions connected to CFS14 (gateway) i always had to specify pool name and storage system.

1.5K Posts

August 30th, 2010 12:00

I understand this is little late to make any comments here - but by default if you are using system pools and if the backend configuration matches for system pools, the second CLARiiON will be added to the same pool name - however, while creating a file system, you have to choose the Pool name and the system on which you are creating the file system.

If no storage system is selected - the AVM decides on which system to use based on the available space and your file system requirement.

However, as Rainer had already mentioned - AVM will not create or extend any file system using multiple backend storage arrays.

Happy to share my 2 cents
Sandip

40 Posts

August 31st, 2010 09:00

Thanks Sandip,

Damian

No Events found!