Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 7th, 2013 12:00

NAS and CIFS are not communicating

I hope I can provide as much information as possible in regards to this situation. I will start with this, over this past weekend the company I work for suffered a bad power surge. Our generator kicks on for 5 minutes before it switches to batteries, and during that 5 minute window, the company suffered another power outage which brought down all our servers. We were able to get everything back online except the NAS. I can ping the CIFS just fine, but when I ping the NAS the response is timed out. There is power to the NAS but it is not moving any data, as it is our data mover. So when someone goes to open a mapped network drive, the user will see a message

So I am guessing by the message that there are commands that I need to run while I am connected to the NAS via laptop and run some commands to get the two communicating. If this is not enough information, please let me know and I will do whatever I can to provide any additional information. Thanks in advance.

May 7th, 2013 12:00

Oh, I forgot to mention, our setup is a Celerra NX4 and the Clariion is a CX3-20.

8.6K Posts

May 7th, 2013 13:00

I would suggest to open a service request and let customer service troubleshoot

A forum isn't really a fast way for help when you are down

Most likely you need to reboot but there might be other remedial action required

May 7th, 2013 14:00

I have one open and I am still waiting for a CE to come out, if they do, because our hardware is EOL, they may just close the ticket and not send anyone, so I am keeping all avenues open. Thank you for the suggestion though.

8.6K Posts

May 7th, 2013 14:00

If you have a support contract we will fix it no matter if EOL

467 Posts

May 7th, 2013 15:00

I'm a little confused by what you are sayings... You can ping the CIFS but not the NAS?  When you say NAS do you mean Control Station?

Can you access the command line interface to run commands?

Try nas_server -l and /nas/sbin/getreason  to start...

nas_server -l sohuld list all you datamovers,  always a good place to start to make sure it knows about the correct datamovers.   getreason will show you if any of the primary datamovers are failed over the the secondary datamovers..

If that all looks normal and you have all datamvoers present and not failed over,  you need to check for the presence of your cifs servers using server_cifs server_X -list     and also check your network interface using server_ifconfig server_X -list

Let us know how it goes.

May 7th, 2013 16:00

Rainer_EMC, I did not know that and that is great information to find out thank you. Hopefully i can find a way to find out if we do have a support contract, I believe we do because when a drive fails in the CX3-20, a tech comes out and replaces it.

Mark, but you are correct on the pings and yes the control station. I cannot access the log in through SSH to run commands. Do I need any specific EMC software installed to use a laptop to talk to the unit? Or what is the trick with HyperTerminal? I keep reading on some commands to use via HyperTerminal.

Thank you both for your replies.

8.6K Posts

May 7th, 2013 18:00

I would suggest to wait for your CE to show up.

Maybe it just requires power-cycling the control station or replacing it

May 8th, 2013 03:00

Well hopefully the CE responds this morning, this will be the third day in a row our NAS has been down. I will update this as the day proceeds. In the meantime, is there any online documentation on the commands to talk to the control station?

May 8th, 2013 06:00

Just got off the phone with the CE and he is on his way.

May 9th, 2013 08:00

The CE arrived yesterday and was unable to save the control station. This power surge corrupted the third HD on the device and made it unable to configure the IP's correctly. We had to order a refurbed NS40 to replace it and we plan on having the CE come out Friday to replace it and get us back up and running. Thank you Rainer and Mark for your help.

No Events found!