Rainer_EMC
5 Rhenium

Re: NDMP Server Software?

thanks - very interesting

with the help of your link I found the details and limitations here http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/fs_ndm...

This is the first backup software I've seen that has bothered to implement it.

Not that it is that difficult - Rainfinity actually developed a specialized ndmpcopy that translates between NetApp and EMC Celerra (but not for NDMP restore)

looks like this would be a nice feature enhancement for Networker 🙂

0 Kudos

In general though, Celerra keeps its own extended file attributes intact during an NDMP backup, so without translation, you could only restore to another Celerra.
0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Rhenium

schlice schrieb:

In general though, Celerra keeps its own extended file attributes intact during an NDMP backup, so without translation, you could only restore to another Celerra.

yes, I think we store UID/GID in the normal Unix dump/tar format but Windows SID and ACLs in a proprietary way since they werent covered in the format.

the CommVault restore is a special case - they are restoring a Celerra or NetApp NDMP backup to a Windows server

so it makes sense that owner and ACLs are lost as well as case insensitivity or special characters

0 Kudos