Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2015 13:00

NS-120 Ethernet Channel Cisco Switch Configuration

I'm a network engineer involved with connecting a NS-120 Celerra/Clarion to a Cisco 3750G switch stack.  From the NS-120, it looks like its configured for Ethernet Channel (see below).  I need to create port channels on the switch stack.  The port channels will not cross switches in the stack.

What my reading has not revealed is if this the same as Cisco EtherChannel?  Do I use the Cisco interface command:  "channel-group <#> mode ON" to create the channel?

[nasadmin@cs0219 ~]$ server_sysconfig server_2 -virtual

server_2 :

Virtual devices:

ESX-NFS devices=cge0 cge1

CIFS-WORM devices=cge2 cge3

fsn failsafe nic devices :

trk trunking devices : CIFS-WORM ESX-NFS

[nasadmin@cs0219 ~]$ server_sysconfig server_2 -virtual -info ESX-NFS

server_2 :

*** Trunk ESX-NFS: Link is Up ***

*** Trunk ESX-NFS: Statistical Load Balancing is IP ***

Device Link Duplex Speed

------------------------------------------------------------------------

cge0 Up   Full     1000 Mbs

cge1 Up   Full     1000 Mbs

[nasadmin@cs0219 ~]$ server_sysconfig server_2 -virtual -info CIFS-WORM

server_2 :

*** Trunk CIFS-WORM: Link is Up ***

*** Trunk CIFS-WORM: Statistical Load Balancing is IP ***

Device Link Duplex Speed

cge2 Up   Full     1000 Mbs

cge3 Up   Full     1000 Mbs

4 Posts

May 1st, 2015 08:00

A colleague pointed me to an EMC document, "Configuring and Managing Celerra Network High Availability".  The snippint below answers my question that the EMC Ethernet channel is compatible with Cisco EtherChannel set to switch mode "On".

"For example, the Ethernet channel implemented in the Celerra Network Server works in conjunction with the

EtherChannel paradigm developed by Cisco Systems. The Celerra Network Server requires statically

configured EtherChannels and does not support the Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP) from Cisco Systems."

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 28th, 2015 15:00

if i give you equivalent from a Nexus 5k switch, will it help ? (It is using vPC though)

4 Posts

April 28th, 2015 16:00

If you are use Ethernet Channel (not LACP) on the NS-120 then yes this would help.

Thanks.

4 Posts

April 28th, 2015 17:00

The system is in production and we don't want to have any down time.  It is currently working on the 3750G but the 3750G is logging MAC-Address flapping errors, thus we want to fix this.  Has been like this for several years but we have noticed a degradation in performance and believe the flapping errors may the root cause.

We are decommissioning the NS-120 in a couple of months and we don't have anyone familiar enough to change it from Ethernet Channel to LACP.  Hoping to just change the switch to proper configuration before we start a migration with massive data moves.

We have a active/standby controller configuration so once we confirm the proper configuration, we can configure the standby, hot switch, configure the active and hot switch back.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

yeah, changing interface from etherchannel to LACP will require that you delete and re-create all interfaces ..definitively requires downtime.

One option that you can do is temporarily remove active/standby configuration, configure etherchannel on standby datamover/3750G. Create an interface to validate that connectivity works. If you are happy with that config, tear everything down on the standby datamover, add it back to server_2 as standby.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

sorry, i am using LACP.  Any specific reason you must use etherchannel and not LACP ?

[nasadmin@vnx5700 ~]$ server_sysconfig server_2 -virtual -info trk0

server_2 :

*** Trunk trk0: Link is Up ***

*** Trunk trk0: Timeout is Short ***

*** Trunk trk0: Statistical Load Balancing is IP ***

Device     Local Grp   Remote Grp Link  LACP Duplex Speed    

fxg-1-0    10000       7300       Up    Up   Full    10000 Mbs

fxg-1-1    10000       7300       Up    Up   Full    10000 Mbs

No Events found!