Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2014 08:00

NTXMAP location

I configured a CIFS server in a datamover( server_6). I am now trying to place my ntxmap.conf file for this datamover alone.  The Emc document tells me to place it /etc/ directory of the data movers (server_6) root file system. How do i find that ?   Do I need to place the file in /etc or is there a separate /etc/ for  the datamover server_6 ? Any help with the actual path would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ram

275 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 10:00

Why do you need a ntxmap.conf file?

As to upload one to server_6 have you looked at the "server_file" command, it will by defaults upload/download from the "/etc" directory of the Data Mover?

It will upload the file on the Data Mover and there is no need to specify a directory

E.g. server_file server_6 -put my_ntxmap,conf ntxmap.conf

Claude

24 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 11:00

Why do you need a ntxmap.conf file?

Answer:-

Currently users home directory are accessed via LINUX boxes through ldap. They are requesting to have access to their directories through windows server. So when I export it through CIFS server and user tries creating a file I see the file ownership "32768". So I thought I could create a ntxmap.conf and map the ldap uid and make it the same.

8.6K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 13:00

Is the manual for ntxmap „Using ntxmap for CIFS User Mapping on VNX®” not clear on this ?

275 Posts

May 26th, 2014 02:00

Junior, from what you say I understand that you want to setup a multiprotocol (cifs nfs) environment

You need to look at the Naming Service and Multiprocol documentation

You can also search this forum on these topics

In short:

UIDs and GIDs of objects created by Windows users are by default allocated by Usermapper process wich runs on server_2 and stored in usermapper DB as well as in a permanent cache (called secmap) on the DM or VDM

You probably need to configure Ldap on the DM so that it searches your Ldap DB for UID/GID

Claude

24 Posts

October 23rd, 2014 06:00

Claude,

I was able to do this and it works like a charm I did not even configure the ntxmap since the uid, gid mapping is done by ldap.  This eliminated manual steps of mapping the userids. In our  env  though both windows and unix user have same user names. I read so many documents on this usermap, secmap, ntxmap. and was able to make this working. Even though the actual setting up process was simple to have a complete understanding of the working  you need to read all the documents. Thanks for the help. Here are steps and commands I used to set it up.

server_file DM -put /tmp/ldap.new ldap.conf 

server_file DM -put /tmp/nsswitch.conf.server_2 nsswitch.conf

server_ldap DM -set -basedn dc=XXXX,dc=XXX  -servers LDAP_SERVER:(port number ) -sslenabled n

server_param DM -facility cifs -modify acl.useUnixGid -value 1

server_param DM -facility cifs -modify resolver -value 1

275 Posts

October 24th, 2014 01:00

Glad you had it working and congrat for taking the time to read the documentation!

Claude

15 Posts

January 17th, 2016 23:00

To upload one to server_6 have you looked at the "server_file" command, it will by defaults upload/download from the "/etc" directory of the Data Mover?

It will upload the file on the Data Mover and there is no need to specify a directory

Example: server_file server_6 -put my_ntxmap,conf ntxmap.conf

Regards,

Reddy

No Events found!